Cluster F*** Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it annoys me, that is enough for me to move it.. lol

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
That's as good a reason as any.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
little update..

the oil leak was mainly from the valve cover in the back corner.. took it off and used a very small bead of rtv around the cover. that got it stopped from the cover, now it barely leaks from the back of the intake... I cannot see where, I am now to the point of its a 30 year old truck..let it be. (until I get the notion to redo it again, I am like that)

I had advanced the truck up to 12 degrees, it cranks warm and cold now. I got the distributor moved to, it's all lined up square now. Gas mileage still sucks, averaging 7 MPG (barely 100 miles per tank) up here in the thinner air and mountain roads.

thanks everyone for the help.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
little update..

the oil leak was mainly from the valve cover in the back corner.. took it off and used a very small bead of rtv around the cover. that got it stopped from the cover, now it barely leaks from the back of the intake... I cannot see where, I am now to the point of its a 30 year old truck..let it be. (until I get the notion to redo it again, I am like that)

I had advanced the truck up to 12 degrees, it cranks warm and cold now. I got the distributor moved to, it's all lined up square now. Gas mileage still sucks, averaging 7 MPG (barely 100 miles per tank) up here in the thinner air and mountain roads.

thanks everyone for the help.

Good to read You have it running real good.
I`m thinking thats about what these old pickups get for fuel mileage,someone may chime an and differ Me up though.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
that is only from the LH tank. RH tank quit working (according to PO), maybe convince wife to let me get new tank, sending unit, selector valve, switch (at least new tank and sender and then troubleshoot). Gas smells horrible from RH tank so who knows how old it is. Get that fixed and then I could go 200 miles between fill ups!!!!! :)

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
that is only from the LH tank. RH tank quit working (according to PO), maybe convince wife to let me get new tank, sending unit, selector valve, switch (at least new tank and sender and then troubleshoot). Gas smells horrible from RH tank so who knows how old it is. Get that fixed and then I could go 200 miles between fill ups!!!!! :)
all the time something. :emotions122::happy175:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I decide to just take off the tank and lines since it is unsprung weight right now... what do I have to do to the selector valve so there isn't open lines? Plug them? Run a new line from sending port to return port?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just plug the lines and leave it on that one side.
Could be a loose/bad connection to the switch/valve why it wont switch tanks.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just plug the lines and leave it on that one side.
Could be a loose/bad connection to the switch/valve why it wont switch tanks.

I didn't say it won't switch, but I am not going to find out if it does because the gas smells so bad on that side. Question is, do you have to get a new tank after gas has sat in it so long, any good cleaning agents for inside the tank to reuse old one?

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Just pump out any that's left in there, modern gas has lots of cleaning agents in it right from the pump.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah,get out as much as You can then fill it to the top with fresh fuel and afdter that it`ll be good to go.
Some industrial shops burn old oil and they might take that old fuel to burn in their heater.Saves from disposing it in an alternate method.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah,get out as much as You can then fill it to the top with fresh fuel and afdter that it`ll be good to go.
Some industrial shops burn old oil and they might take that old fuel to burn in their heater.Saves from disposing it in an alternate method.

I've always used bad gas. Pump it out into cans. A gallon or 2 in a 20 gallon tank isn't going to hurt.

Alot of people also use it for cleaning parts. I've also heard it to be used like a paint thinner too in oil based paint. Not sure how true, I've always heard that when gas gets old, that funky smell and turns green, that it's now turpentine.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have 16 gallon tanks.. anyway might throw it in the lawnmower that I got for free.. see what happens.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Not sure how true, I've always heard that when gas gets old, that funky smell and turns green, that it's now turpentine.
Varnish. Which is why it clogs up jets and coats float bowls and floats in goo. It will clean a paint brush that's been used with oil base/alkyd paint when nothing else you got handy will.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Varnish. Which is why it clogs up jets and coats float bowls and floats in goo. It will clean a paint brush that's been used with oil base/alkyd paint when nothing else you got handy will.

Regardless of what it is, not a good idea to use it for a cleaning product or leave it laying around in your garage since it's still very flammable. When I have used it, I did NOT use in my fuel injection or Electric fuel pump vehicle. Just diluted the hell out of it and ran it in Carbed manual fuel pump vehicles. Seemed to have ran OK. Certainly wan't over 10%. I guess if you can run 10% ethanol, you can run 10% bad gas and burn it. :shrug:

At your own risk of course. I'm not saying it's a good thing to do. It's just a way to dispose of it and not let it go to waste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich