Choke closing too soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASEmaster

Reaction score
First Name
Kennet
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have an '86 C10 with (as far as I know) the original Q-Jet carb that has the electric assisted choke mechanism. The engine starts and warms up find from a cold condition. Hot starting is usually pretty easy too, as long as it hasn't been turned off for very long (less than 20 minutes)

The problem I'm having is when you restart if the engine either wasn't completely warmed up or is allowed to cool for 30 minutes or so from hot. Under those conditions, it will fire, stall, and then flood when you start cranking again. It acts like it's being over-choked, and the only way I can get it to restart is to crank with the accelerator on the floor while it sputters and coughs to life, belching smoke out the tailpipes until it finally clears.

I've watched my choke plate when I shut it off from a warm condition and it appears to slowly close itself over the 20-30 minute period. Is that normal or should it be staying open longer if the engine was good and warm when shut down?

Once started, the engine always runs and drives great, again leading me to think the trouble is all in the choke.

Can someone enlighten me please? Do I need a new choke coil assembly, perhaps?

Thanks,

-Kennet

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

Also make sure the power connection to the heater is tight and clean - that's the wire with the funky looking plug.

ASEmaster

Reaction score
First Name
Kennet
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks. How sensitive is the adjustment on that scale? If I'm nearly at the center now, would you suggest moving clockwise in whole-mark increments or less than that?

I realize this shouldn't be rocket science or anything.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
2 -3 notches.

While you are finding the "sweet spot" - just make the lock screws only tight enough to keep your setting. Then if you want to readjust it requires no tools. When everything seems good - I would wait till you get a nice cold morning to make sure it still closes enough to warm you up - crank them down tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10