Chevy C10 "Build"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I realize that this forum is for other vehicles but what I came across doesn't seem to fit elsewhere...

So I'm new to Square Body trucks and just bought an '81 C10 a few weeks ago. It has a lot of common issues and I've had a lot of luck going out on YouTube and watching people's videos on how to solve these same issues. Naturally after a few days, the YouTube algorithm starts pumping more Square Body material into my feed.

I'm not going to say anything about this right now, but this popped up on my feed last night. It might help to know that I was in bed at the time and didn't want to wake my wife up so watched it with the sound off so I didn't know what the guy was saying as it went on:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what's my point? What I was thinking is that I'd like to someday get my truck looking like that truck looked like when he first pulled it in to the garage. And remember, I had the volume off so I didn't know what he was saying as he went along. So then he starts swapping out the suspension, and I thought oh cool it would be nice to have a brand-new suspension on an older truck like that. But then he just keeps going and going and there's this growing pile of discarded parts on the floor, every single one of which is better than what I have on my truck and that I'd be very happy to keep.

So with me just starting out and trying to learn how to fix the floppy tilt steering on my truck, this build this guy did seems ... well, I just don't know. Wow. So I was wondering if this kind of thing seemed freakish to other members on this bb. Could easily be that I'm alone in this.

Last edited:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what's my point? What I was thinking is that I'd like to someday get my truck looking like that truck looked like when he first pulled it in to the garage. And remember, I had the volume off so I didn't know what he was saying as he went along. So then he starts swapping out the suspension, and I thought oh cool it would be nice to have a brand-new suspension on an older truck like that. But then he just keeps going and going and there's this growing pile of discarded parts on the floor, every single one of which is better than what I have on my truck and that I'd be very happy to keep.

So with me just starting out and trying to learn how to fix the floppy tilt steering on my truck, this build this guy did seems ... well, I just don't know. Wow. So I was wondering if this kind of thing seemed freakish to other members on this bb. Could easily be that I'm alone in this.
I think it just depends on your goals- that seems wild to me to go that far, but lots of us have “Hot Rod Garage “ dreams where high end parts get thrown at it nonstop.

I think I fall more into the Vice Grip Garage or Roadkill category (forgive the show names, it shows what I watch mostly haha) where it’s just “get it running and deal with things as they come along “.

For myself, it’s more or less a 10 year plan. Barring illness, divorce etc. It can all change in a heartbeat, so I’m enjoying little projects while I save for paint and bodywork.

Edit- about a year to six months ago, I was in frantic phase, working on getting my ‘81 C10 just roadworthy and posting/sharing on “the what have you done “ thread. Now I’m squirreling away funds.

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think it just depends on your goals- that seems wild to me to go that far, but lots of us have “Hot Rod Garage “ dreams where high end parts get thrown at it nonstop.

I think I fall more into the Vice Grip Garage or Roadkill category (forgive the show names, it shows what I watch mostly haha) where it’s just “get it running and deal with things as they come along “.

For myself, it’s more or less a 10 year plan. Barring illness, divorce etc. It can all change in a heartbeat, so I’m enjoying little projects while I save for paint and bodywork.

Edit- about a year to six months ago, I was in frantic phase, working on getting my ‘81 C10 just roadworthy and posting/sharing on “the what have you done “ thread. Now I’m squirreling away funds.
Yeah, I think the problem is that I may be turning into my dad. Lately I just can't seem to bring myself to replace anything unless it is irredeemably broken or actually on fire.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Haven't seen that build on Gearz. Watching some now at work. Like what I see so far. Some of which goes along with my plans for my C10. Stacy does good work. A little over the top but when your not paying for it why not. I like the drop but the brake upgrades especially to the rear are not really warranted, at least in my case. Nice but I'm sure they are pricey. That's as far as I have got so far.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Finished the whole thing. Nice build but Like the OP I rather preferred it after he lowered and added the bigger wheels.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is the thing about youtube channels- the successful ones are turning their money back into their channel. They make a lot and so they reinvest it. They buy lots of parts; some of them are getting parts from suppliers for endorsement and sponsorships. I enjoy these channels, but they don't always reflect the guy on a budget. Some of the best videos that I have seen had low viewer counts from obscure channels.
I love the Vice Grip Garage channel- just know that he might spend more in alternator/power steering brackets and a fuel system than you spent on your entire truck.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Here is the thing about youtube channels- the successful ones are turning their money back into their channel. They make a lot and so they reinvest it. They buy lots of parts; some of them are getting parts from suppliers for endorsement and sponsorships. I enjoy these channels, but they don't always reflect the guy on a budget. Some of the best videos that I have seen had low viewer counts from obscure channels.
I love the Vice Grip Garage channel- just know that he might spend more in alternator/power steering brackets and a fuel system than you spent on your entire truck.
Yup. Internet builds are the new magazine builds. Sure, you can make anything look great with an unlimited budget....

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Not everybody has the same skill set and that's ok. If a huge build like that is intimidating to you, just start with the small stuff and work your way up. We all started somewhere.

My biggest advice is don't tackle too much at once and try to keep downtime to a minimum. If you take the truck completely apart without having the new parts on hand/the tools to do the job, you very well may get overwhelmed and the truck will sit and languish. Do smaller jobs here and there and enjoy the truck in between. I've had my truck nearly completely disassembled on multiple occasions for different upgrades but always try to keep the process quick so I can enjoy it again soon. Keeps the desire there rather than looking at a huge, taken apart mess for months/years at a time.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
She just needs what she needs fellas

Long Rider

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am about 8 months into my second square body build. The last one took me about 3 1/2 years and cost $26K. The red 73 on my profile. As for his choice as to what his truck looked like when he was done, that is always up to the owner. The thing that kind of bugged me was his reference to how if you do the work yourself and spend a "few hundred $" on parts its affordable. I am now working on my 2nd Sq Body a 79 C20, so I am again keeping track of what I spend in my build and budget book. It looked to me like parts and paint would be around $42K. I am more into The Vice Grip style which is more into my budget.

Attachments

• 400439028_24439014545689790_8279765299902530949_n.jpg
    400439028_24439014545689790_8279765299902530949_n.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Look at this truck before the guy towed it home and then after. Notice the types of parts and the methods he used to complete much of the repairs.
Then guestimate how much you think he has in that truck.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod