cheap paint job options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Well I would imagine this probably happens at the auto paint stores also.
I've seen oops paint at the parts stores before, but it's been awhile. Definitely worth looking into if color isn't a big concern.

Bigxb55

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Kirker automotive paint. You can order it online and ship it to your house.

I painted a gmt400 Blazer with their single stage urethane and their base coat clear coat additive. Turns it into a BC/CC.

I did a two tone truck, with epoxy primer underneath, for $650.

A gallon of Black single stage urethane is $59. Activator is $29. Epoxy primer $50. One gallon will do a whole truck

pali7

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A buddy of mine worked at a ski area. During the summer a crew was spraying the lift towers with a plain jane green oil based enamel. He paid them 25 bucks to paint an old jeep CJ5 for him on the mountain. Weeds, bugs and sun. He didn't sand it, just washed it. He took out the seats and taped over the glass, lights and dash parts. I thought he was nuts, but that paint job turned out pretty good and lasted him for years. I used oil based paint for the inside of my C10 and it has held up for 18 years.

75k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I’d buy a cheap epoxy primer on eBay, then spray a single stage over it. White will hide the most flaws and black will show the most. Stay away from anything metallic as the metallic will lay in every scratch.

As far as prep goes. 320 grit over the truck. If you want to go a step beyond. hit it with 400 grit after the 320. The reason why I say buy an epoxy is because new paint can react very badly to old paint if they aren’t compatible. The epoxy will put a buffer layer to avoid that from happening.

Spray couple coats of epoxy. Read topcoat times.

Spray couple coats of eBay single stage.

i found this paint kit on ebay. it used to be the color of my first truck. would this work?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
something like that is what i want to do. is that primer or paint?
Edited the post. Was black epoxy primer. Rolled it on using tray and a roller from home depot. Epoxy protects and seals, and is good with taking real paint later.
In progress picture before suspension or anything else was changed.
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
full

I used Monstaliner back in 2014 and it is still holding up well. Roughed up/sanded the existing paint then mixed the bedliner and the color tint then just rolled it on.

39 colors available now. click me

I *think* I just ordered a 1 gallon kit ($154.40) and the color tint ($31.75).

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
It would work for sure. Acrylic won't hold up to the sun near as long as urethane I believe though.
what about Acrylic Urethane? Summit sells it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
what about Acrylic Urethane? Summit sells it.
Idk, maybe I'm all backwards on this. I've always viewed Acrylic enamel as "old" technology and urethane as newer, more durable, etc.
I might be just passing bad info as I don't know the actual differences or what Acrylic Urethane is vs the other terminology I was using. But here's what I copied from the interwebs that seems to support what I was saying.

The Differences Between Acrylic Enamel and Urethane Auto Paints​

December 21, 2020

Automotive painting has really jumped leaps and bounds over the years. The early days of automobiles they were treated more like a horse and buggy or carriage and many parts were hand painted with a brush. While Ford was the first to really begin mass produce automobiles on an assembly line they began spraying them with liquid paint sprayers; but the “enamels” they used then weren’t anything like what we call enamels today. As years went on manufacturers switched to lacquer paint and then on to Acrylic Enamels and Urethanes of today’s standards. Because of the changes in paints it’s hard to get true lacquer and real early Enamel or “color varnishes” of the old days is impossible to find. For that reason the two most common choices for painting your car are acrylic enamel and urethane paints. So why these paints and what are the pros and cons? We discuss more below.

Acrylic Enamel Paint​

1. Slow Drying Times- Acrylic Enamel Paint is traditionally a 1-part paint and doesn’t require a hardener or activator. These air-dry much like a stain or varnish would in the woodworking world. So if it’s cold outside or no direct sunlight on the vehicle after paint it could take days for the paint to be workable.
  2. Chips Easily- Because There is no hardening agents in Acrylic Enamel the paint tends to chip easily so it needs to be handled with care especially until fully dry.
  3. Life of Paint- While the paint may be easier to prepare and spray to some the longevity of Acrylic Enamel is shorter than modern 2K Urethane paints. If you’re spraying a show-queen that will almost never see weather it may last a lifetime, but most Enamel paintjobs do have a life cycle and need to be resprayed after a number of years. This is why you’ll rarely see an old enamel paintjob that has been out in the weather that doesn’t have fading, cracking, etc.

2K Urethane Paint​

1. Mixing Ratios- Due to Urethane Paints requiring a minimum of two parts (paint and activator/hardener) there needs to be extra care in mixing ratios, decisions on speed of activator based on your spraying technique and temps outside when spraying. Once you’ve got the basic process down you can even test out adding thinners or additives to your Urethane Paint to really dial in how it sprays and lays out.
  2. HVLP Gun Required- The old days of spraying with an old school Binks Siphon sprayer are gone when using modern Urethane Paints. The droplet size and pressure required to spray urethane paints really leans towards using a modern HVLP paint gun. While we aren’t saying you can’t use a siphon gun; the results may be lack luster due to the way these types of guns deliver the paint to the surface. ‘
  3. Matching Sheen- The one downside if you are restoring an old car or trying to match original sheen of enamel paint on a classic car is the natural depth and sheen of a urethane paint is much higher than that of an enamel paint. Therefore it can be hard to match the sheen of an old lacquer or enamel paint job with urethane paints. Luckily there are options to get it close with using flattening agents in the paint and polishing the paint to match the sheen you’re after but it is definitely something that takes some practice and experience.
We think hands-down Urethane paints are the best for a DIY paintjob and tend to be quite user friendly and very affordable. With 100’s of color options you’d be hard pressed not to find what you need for your next project. Find our full line of Urethane Paints HERE.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
On a different note: I'm in the middle of painting my truck with Van Sickle Tractor and Auto paint. It wasn't prohibitively expensive. I can't say as of yet, how well it's going tio come out--and obviously operator error may be a factor, but it was under 200 bucks a gallon. They sell some hardener to put some more gloss in the final coat, too.

Aaron

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
About the only thing that can be done for [may be] a couple hundred is seal it. Paint has gotten very expensive. I have heard of certain colors being $300-400 a quart. Square bodies have a lot of surface area especially if the inside of the bed is painted. There are etching sealers for bare metal. Even items like tape and that mask the guy in the video had on add up. Primer/surfacers will suck up moisture.
Duplicolor Paint Shop (google it. can get it a bunch of places) is $35 a quart.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This was a specific Subaru color for an insurance repair. Yes, I know there are less expensive options and would work decent for a quick save it for now application.

The real test is how long it will last under UV and weather? Not saying the less expensive options won't work but how are they selling those products so inexpensively? What about re-coat sensitivity down the road?

I was in the paint and body business for 15-20 years. Knowing paint has always been expensive, today's prices shock me. I had a gallon of left over K36 primer and a quart of hardener, together $500. Could easily use 2 gallons for a nice paint job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly