Charcoal/evap hookup help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I call ******** on it except for a few very freak happenings due to odds and numbers. I plan to do a dissection and write up on the charcoal canister from the '89.

:waytogo:

I'd imagine some might even wonder WTF is it for?!?! :shrug: Different names for it, but most commonly known around here as Evap System, or Evaporative Control System, and in the olden days in So Cal when I was smogging cars, I'd heard it called Canister Purge System.

It's for sealed fuel or gas tanks. Back in the day, you could buy VENTED gas caps, so as fuel sloshes around and creates vapor, or just getting warm from ambient air temp, fuel vapor is created expands in the tank and would escape from the vented gas cap.

So now, sealed gas caps came about that allow the gas tank to become somewhat pressurizd. The pressure pushed the vapor to the charcoal canistar where it was stored. Then when the right chain of events happen, like the vechile warmed up, or when off idle, the intake or vacuum from the intake and carb would draw the stored vapors from the Charcoal Canister and run them thru the motor to burn off the vapors that are harnful to the ozone and omit HC's into the air.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I sure had a fuel vapor smell when I unhooked the vacuum lines from it. I will chop that bitch in half sometime with the radius saw and see what comes flying out of it lol.

sealacamp

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
81, 78
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 85 k10 failed its inspection because of the tree huggin emissions test. My evap canister is only hooked onto the fuel tank it looks like and this was the way i bought it. I have no idea how to get her breathing right again if i could get some help it would be great. I have an aftermarket 1406 edelbrock carb and ill post pictures

I'm not sure if this will help you out or not but this is the diagram for mine on my 81 C10. Your probably is very similar. Good luck!

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ