Charcoal/evap hookup help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The only manifold vacuums i see go to brake and ac condenser(which does nothing because i dont have a compressor)
Where would port T be on the edelbrock carb?

Port T would be the bowl vent. Did you buy this truck fowled up like this?

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ya I bought it like this. If I had taken it apart I probably wouldve been able to put it back but I never saw it right. I appreciate all the help guys, I didnt know what I was in for just getting plates. how would I attach to bowl vents, I looked up where they are on my carb and this is apparently them.

Attachments

• edelbrock.jpg
    edelbrock.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 168

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The plastic elbowed hose on left of carb goes into the firewall
1)I think that is the ported vacuum so attach the large carb bowl nipple from canister to that

2)The middle ish top small nipple on canister to t into pcv

3)The small nipple on the right above the pcv one to the same port on carb as step one or to lockup solenoid... Im not sure what that is

4)The far left canister port into Macgyver'ed port on bottom of air cleaner

And can someone clear up what this is and if I need it

That round ball is called a Vacuum Amplifier or Vacuum Resevoir. Different vehicles, makes and models use it for different purposes. Heat and Air controls as Jim said, is most common, sometims vac operated headlights that open and close like on old Ford Birds, some wiper washers, some cruise control, whatever the case may be. Supposed to have a bit of vac in reserve and/or make vacuum stronger. Have you ever seen a like a tin can or what looks like an old Juice Can without a label painted black on an old Ford??? Same thing, just a can instead of plastic.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, you dont have the nipple for the bowl vent. To do this right, you really need to get a q jet from SMI Carburetor if you have the means to do so. It is the correct carburetor for your truck, and is far superior to the Edelbrock. But for now, maybe T that in with the other line going under the air claner, and see if they pass you...I have a feeling that they just dont want to see a bunch of open ports to the aptmosphere.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I might grab a junkyard carb for the inspection unless you think i would be better off buying a better carb and selling the Edelb. So far ive got all but the lines going to the airfilter t'ed in. havent tried to start it
Thanks for being a help Ive been learning a lot just by poking around the forum. It looks like Jims expertise is around every corner of this place

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I personally would get a Q jet from SMI, no exceptions. Sell the eddy.
The Q jet is 750 CFM, and tuned right, can get you the power you want, and if you want to take it easy, can deliver in the neighborhood of 16-20 mpg, and will get you passed inspection every time. i woul also look for an enclosed TBI style air cleaner, or stock for that year. dont run open.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hate to see someone go spend $400 just to pass emissions for an Evap hose plugged off when he's passing tailpipes emissions. Then a carp swap, needing tuned, might not pass tailpipe emmisions. IF you're this close to passing, I'd make it work with what I had for FREE, other than a few vac hoses. As Jim said, I also have a feeling they just don't want to see a bunch of hoses go to the atmostphere. If it's hooked someway to the intake system via PCV line, carb vac or whatever, then the vapor is getting sucked into the intake and burnt and that's the purpose and that's what they want to see. I really doubt they'll follow every hose to where it goes, they are just looking to see the ports are hooked to something.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I hooked her up the way ya'll said and she purrs real nice. Hopefully this gets me passed.
I enclosed a picture of the truck as thanks and the canister hooked up.
Is the Smi a good performance carb? if it is then i might pick one up soon and hook it up correctly.
I had one last question ive heard about people sucking charcoal into their carb from the canister... Something i should keep an eye out for? Or is their a way to prevent this

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 246

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hooked her up the way ya'll said and she purrs real nice. Hopefully this gets me passed.
I enclosed a picture of the truck as thanks and the canister hooked up.
Is the Smi a good performance carb? if it is then i might pick one up soon and hook it up correctly.
I had one last question ive heard about people sucking charcoal into their carb from the canister... Something i should keep an eye out for? Or is their a way to prevent this

That is usually very rare, and I mean very very rare. If something get's clogged, and the charcoal is fine enough to make it up the little tube it can happen I guess, cuz I've heard of it too, but I don't think I'd worry.

That looks good. I say it passes, then after you get it tagged, then cap it back off if your worried about charcoal. Or, if it's just a visual, find a way to get all the charcoal out of the canister and don't worry about it. Be a great place to hide a cheater shot of NOS woudln't it. Just put rubber over the braided line. :rofl:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That is usually very rare, and I mean very very rare. If something get's clogged, and the charcoal is fine enough to make it up the little tube it can happen I guess, cuz I've heard of it too, but I don't think I'd worry.

That looks good. I say it passes, then after you get it tagged, then cap it back off if your worried about charcoal. Or, if it's just a visual, find a way to get all the charcoal out of the canister and don't worry about it. Be a great place to hide a cheater shot of NOS woudln't it. Just put rubber over the braided line. :rofl:

as long as the cannister is right side up, shouldnt be an issue. Never heard of that happening.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
as long as the cannister is right side up, shouldnt be an issue. Never heard of that happening.

Me either, I'm wondering if that's just a myth started by an uneducated hater looking for a reason to "pull all that smog crap off."

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard of like 2 other people say it's happened and found it hard to believe myself.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That's sounds like one of those things that everybody knows somebody who's uncle's cousin has a sister who's married to a guy that had it happen to them. Tough to verify. Reminds me of the urban legend of the $50 Army surplus Jeeps in a crate. The story was you could buy new Jeeps for $50 that were built for WWII but were never used because the war ended. There used to be ads in the backs of magazines in the 50's and 60's saying if you sent in a few dollars they would send you an information packet explaining how to buy all kinds of Govt. surplus items. They usually had a picture to prove it was real. It was a scam but people fell for it because everyone *knew* someone that got one.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's sounds like one of those things that everybody knows somebody who's uncle's cousin has a sister who's married to a guy that had it happen to them. Tough to verify. Reminds me of the urban legend of the $50 Army surplus Jeeps in a crate. The story was you could buy new Jeeps for $50 that were built for WWII but were never used because the war ended. There used to be ads in the backs of magazines in the 50's and 60's saying if you sent in a few dollars they would send you an information packet explaining how to buy all kinds of Govt. surplus items. They usually had a picture to prove it was real. It was a scam but people fell for it because everyone *knew* someone that got one.

You must be registered for see images attach

I remember being about 13 and couldn't wait to get older so I could buy one those.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I call ******** on it except for a few very freak happenings due to odds and numbers. I plan to do a dissection and write up on the charcoal canister from the '89.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128