Charcoal/evap hookup help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My 85 k10 failed its inspection because of the tree huggin emissions test. My evap canister is only hooked onto the fuel tank it looks like and this was the way i bought it. I have no idea how to get her breathing right again if i could get some help it would be great. I have an aftermarket 1406 edelbrock carb and ill post pictures

Attachments

• 2013-04-08 16.57.17.jpg
    2013-04-08 16.57.17.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,231
  • 2013-04-08 16.58.15.jpg
    2013-04-08 16.58.15.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,688
  • 2013-04-08 16.57.42.jpg
    2013-04-08 16.57.42.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,663

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Can you post a copy of the emissions report so we can see how far off you are on the levels? Very tough to pass in some places running aftermarket equipment. Once they open the hood and see stuff like that they immediately get a bug up their ass.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Their was no report they just said it needs to be hooked up and said something about port vacuum something. I think if i plugged it into a various bolts around the carb they wouldnt know the difference but i would like it done right

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Without the stock carb and air cleaner, I think it's impossible to hook it up exactly like stock. According to the diagram, you should be able to get it close though, maybe that would let it pass the visual inspection.

God I love living in an area without testing and inspections.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thats my hope is to get it close, and passable, but I dont know where to start, if someone has one of these hooked up and can post pics of where it attaches because diagrams look like a foreign language to me.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You might have to put on a stock air cleaner for the test, the left port has to be tied into it but I'm not sure exactly how. My fuel evap canister only has two ports, one from the tank and the other to the throttle body. I'm sure somebody with the same year can post some pics.

Do you still have an air pump and the injection nozzles on the exhaust manifolds. Your emissions sticker says you have to have that as well.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You might have to put on a stock air cleaner for the test, the left port has to be tied into it but I'm not sure exactly how. My fuel evap canister only has two ports, one from the tank and the other to the throttle body. I'm sure somebody with the same year can post some pics.

Do you still have an air pump and the injection nozzles on the exhaust manifolds. Your emissions sticker says you have to have that as well.

Thats what I was going to say, until I realized he is not in Ca.
1) You may be able to tap into that air cleaner adaptor by drilling it, and adding a small barbed brass fitting into it so you can run from the first port on the left...thats all it really is in a stock air cleaner, to provide fresh filtered air.
2) 2nd port is to the tank...good
3) From the large bottom port on position 3, T that into the port on the pass side of the carb(the port with the line that has the 90* elbow and plastic line going off to the pass side of the truck...what is that going to?)
and the top small port above that, T that into the bottom port on position 4, and Ts into the PCV line.
4) This top one you may need to t in with the pass side port of the carb also, unless you still have that lockup solenoid that is in the diagram...then t it into that.

I dont know if it will work, but at least it will be hooked up, and thats all they hopefully care about.
Good luck.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks fairly straight forward and simple to me. You can retrofit an air cleaner to IF REQUIRED. I have a feeling they will allow you to plug the hose port that would go to the air cleaner. You may call and ask them first. If not, drill you a hole in the bottom of your aftermarket filter plate that sets on the carb, get you a piece of copper or metal tubing and flare it and drop it through the drilled hole, then tighten the hose to it from the bottom and good enough for that one.

Purge line, T off into the PCV valve Line. The small vac line will go to ported vacuum on the Eddy carb, I think it's the Left side small port IIRC. To be sure, it's the vac that has NO VACUUM at idle. Hook the small line there. Then you already have the hose to your fuel tank or switch valve right? If not, get it there and you should pass no problem if that's all the tree huggin candy ass failed you for.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Thats what I was going to say, until I realized he is not in Ca.

If the air pump and cat are part of the 49-state emissions package wouldn't he need to have it to pass the visual? I can't imagine that he gets to choose what stays and what goes.

The first thing I had to do on an underhood inspection was determine if the vehicle was a California emissions car or a 49er. Either way, it had to have everything the factory sent it out the door with. The Cali cars usually had things the federal cars didn't, but that emissions sticker was gospel, everything on the list had to be on the car no matter where it came from.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not necessarily. Keep in mind it's politicians who make the laws. They don't know crap about a cars emissions systems. His state might require nothing more than an Evap and a Cat. Some states, like OK when they did Safety inspections, you had to VISUALLY have a Cat and that was it. There would even be a big ******** with a plug or a patch in it, KNOWING the Catalyst had been hollowed out, but Hey, it was there. PASS. Law said it had to be there, didn't say it had to function properly. Another reason OK did away inspections. It was about pointless.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Looks fairly straight forward and simple to me. You can retrofit an air cleaner to IF REQUIRED. I have a feeling they will allow you to plug the hose port that would go to the air cleaner. You may call and ask them first. If not, drill you a hole in the bottom of your aftermarket filter plate that sets on the carb, get you a piece of copper or metal tubing and flare it and drop it through the drilled hole, then tighten the hose to it from the bottom and good enough for that one.

Purge line, T off into the PCV valve Line. The small vac line will go to ported vacuum on the Eddy carb, I think it's the Left side small port IIRC. To be sure, it's the vac that has NO VACUUM at idle. Hook the small line there. Then you already have the hose to your fuel tank or switch valve right? If not, get it there and you should pass no problem if that's all the tree huggin candy ass failed you for.
If he plugs the one to the air cleaner, it wont be functional...needs to get air from somewhere.
If the air pump and cat are part of the 49-state emissions package wouldn't he need to have it to pass the visual? I can't imagine that he gets to choose what stays and what goes.

The first thing I had to do on an underhood inspection was determine if the vehicle was a California emissions car or a 49er. Either way, it had to have everything the factory sent it out the door with. The Cali cars usually had things the federal cars didn't, but that emissions sticker was gospel, everything on the list had to be on the car no matter where it came from.
True, but he didnt mention the air pump being a fail point.
Not necessarily. Keep in mind it's politicians who make the laws. They don't know crap about a cars emissions systems. His state might require nothing more than an Evap and a Cat. Some states, like OK when they did Safety inspections, you had to VISUALLY have a Cat and that was it. There would even be a big ******** with a plug or a patch in it, KNOWING the Catalyst had been hollowed out, but Hey, it was there. PASS. Law said it had to be there, didn't say it had to function properly. Another reason OK did away inspections. It was about pointless.
Its alll money these days....sierra club and the like in the Dems pockets, New car manufacturers in the Reps pockets.
All a car needs is a cat, and an evap cannister these days...nothing more.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A "Bulk Head" connector would work good there,has a threaded fitting,a nut onto that,drill the hole through the bottom plate,shove the bulk head connector through the hole,tighten the nut,it is then threaded on the inside of the bulk head connector for pipe fittings,easy.
I thinking they makeum in plastik too so that would be lighter than the steel fitting.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The plastic elbowed hose on left of carb goes into the firewall
1)I think that is the ported vacuum so attach the large carb bowl nipple from canister to that

2)The middle ish top small nipple on canister to t into pcv

3)The small nipple on the right above the pcv one to the same port on carb as step one or to lockup solenoid... Im not sure what that is

4)The far left canister port into Macgyver'ed port on bottom of air cleaner

And can someone clear up what this is and if I need it

Attachments

• 2013-04-09 14.57.34.jpg
    2013-04-09 14.57.34.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 571

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The plastic elbowed hose on left of carb goes into the firewall
1)I think that is the ported vacuum so attach the large carb bowl nipple from canister to that

2)The middle ish top small nipple on canister to t into pcv

3)The small nipple on the right above the pcv one to the same port on carb as step one or to lockup solenoid... Im not sure what that is

4)The far left canister port into Macgyver'ed port on bottom of air cleaner

And can someone clear up what this is and if I need it

The one going into the firewall should be hooked to a manifold full vacuum source...its for the climate control servos. I believe port T on the label represents the carb bowl vent, which should go down to the larger lower nipple next to the tank port...I think I messed up on that one in my previouse post...sorry.

Last edited:

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The only manifold vacuums i see go to brake and into the firewall which has an identical line returning and going to top of radiator
Where would port T be on the edelbrock carb?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641