Car-Transport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
Not sure where to place this thread?

Anybody got any suggestions on a good Carrier to move my Squarebody across a couple of states?

Don't really want to drive it as it has some ancient fuel in it. Rather get it home before I start working on it.

I know "Reliable Carriers" does a great job but they are the probably the most expensive in the business.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If it were me, I’d get a car hauler from Uhaul and winch that bad boy up on there. I know this is different, but we did that with my Oldsmobile - pushed it part of the way up from behind with a car and winched it the rest of the way with a come along. It’s relatively cheap, and you do it yourself rather than having some bozo saying it’s Miller time while hauling your truck. I know that’s very pessimistic but still. I like to take care of it myself.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've moved my truck about 1/2 way across the country twice (2003 and 2012), and never had issues with the haulers. Regardless of which company you choose, they will usually be just a front man / scheduler for the independent transport guys. You pay the initial company a percentage of the cost to set it all up, and then pay the rest to the driver. The drivers are contracted to the company, not employed by them. In both cases I had to pay the drivers in cash when delivered, since they use it for operating money on the road.

Based on what I found in 2012, U-haul has two types of car haulers, and only the larger one will work for a long bed pickup. Even then you might have to be conservative about the weight or the online app will tell you it won't fit. I was not able to find any other standard rental company (Budget, etc.) that had a car hauler large enough. Depending on the dealer, U-haul may also want to see the tow vehicle to verify its big enough to pull the loaded trailer.

Bruce

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Depends on your build, lift kits, oversized tires and camper shells change the price due to home many other cars can fit.. I lugged my vette from St. Louis Mo to S florida using a uhaul trailer that only cost $300..you should really look into moving it yourself.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I've used Montway Carriers through uship on two seperate occasions. One from from Maryland to PA for my square and once from far west PA to my house in eastern PA. Both times cost under $500 and the driver that Montway used was on time and professional.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If it were me, I’d get a car hauler from Uhaul and winch that bad boy up on there.

Beware, Uhaul will not rent you a car hauler if you are going to use an “old” truck no matter how capable or well maintained. My local stores require a 98+ 3/4 ton to even think about renting a trailer. They won’t tell you that either, you usually have to find out the hard way.

Sorry for tangent, I simply loathe Uhaul and their ******** rental policies.

... and you do it yourself rather than having some bozo saying it’s Miller time while hauling your truck.

Funny you should say that. Traded my K30 for a DB touring car this past weekend. Dude was hauling it back to my place and grabbed a couple road beers on the way out, Millers no less! Never again.

I like to take care of it myself.

Me too!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To get around that Uhaul ********* I have rented a Home Depot truck to pick it up
Then swapped rigs LOL

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Jeez, never knew uhaul pulled that age limit crap too. Whenever I rented a uhaul trailer I would put that the vehicle I was towing was a 1992 Mazda Miata to get around any weight restrictions.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just a word of caution,... That all seems like a good idea until there's an issue like an accident or checkpoint or something like that. Then I'm going to guess there will be liability. Getting away with it doesn't mean it's legal.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
100% true

A lot of suggestions here will cause all liability to fall on you if there is an incident, even if you purchase additional insurance from uhaul.

I'll never go back to hauling my own cars unless its relatively close. Time saved, money well spent, and hassles saved with transport, at least in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06