Can't decide....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
I need to order my digital dash today...
I've decided to go with the Intellitronix digital dash for the 73-87 chevy trucks
But I'm not sure about the color...

Trying to think ahead on the entire color scheme of the truck..

An I 'think' this is where I want to go..

I'm looking at an almost flat black truck (probably something like eggshell), or more accurately a very dark gray..

Was thinking about having 'zero' trim pieces on it along the sides or back of cab, making all that smooth..

As for contrast, a single blood red pinstripe down the crease on the side of the truck from front to rear... Maybe another down the middle of the hood....

Not sure whether I will leave the chrome on the front and the rain gutters on the doors or paint them red also (if i do it will be very dark red)...

Pretty sure I'll be going with black carpet and gray (or black) upholstery with red accent stitching... (or if on a budget, find whatever I can with similar colors) might reverse the carpet and upholstery colors...

So, that brings me to the dash... The 'obvious' choice is well, red...

But I'm concerned that I might hate the red lights.. What if I decide to go with a different color scheme.. How well will the red still work...

So, I'm looking for input from those of you that have red as the color of your dash illumination...

Is the red an issue? Is it hard on the eyes? Overbearing? Annoying? Is it easy to see as compared to other colors? Have you had it for some time and still like it?

Can you post any pictures of yours, so I can get an idea of how it looks in real world use?

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You could do gray, that goes with anything. Just a thought.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
You could do gray, that goes with anything. Just a thought.

The light choices are red, blue, green, and white.. Not crazy about the white...

I'm mostly concerned with whether I'll like the dash lights color.. Red seems kinda 'in your face'... but they might be nice... I dunno.. I've never seen a vehicle with red instrument lights..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The light choices are red, blue, green, and white.. Not crazy about the white...

I'm mostly concerned with whether I'll like the dash lights color.. Red seems kinda 'in your face'... but they might be nice... I dunno.. I've never seen a vehicle with red instrument lights..
Oh ok, missed that thought you were talking about the face, I think I'd go with blue myself, but that's just a matter of preference.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Red backlighting is supposed to be less straining on the eyes at night. Pontiac did it in the 80's and 90's on some cars. I think VW has done it a bunch too. I've put the red (or red/orange) backlighting in a couple of my cars, I've been happy with it.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Red backlighting is supposed to be less straining on the eyes at night. Pontiac did it in the 80's and 90's on some cars. I think VW has done it a bunch too. I've put the red (or red/orange) backlighting in a couple of my cars, I've been happy with it.

That makes me feel better..... :cheers:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Okay.. Just pulled the trigger on this... I'll let you know how it all goes...

Their website is a freakin' mess...
But they're aware of it and working on it....

LOL

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Readily available choices for weapon mounted LASER SIGHTS are green and red.
Because green is easier to see in the daylight.

Hope this helps! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising