Can you ID these transmissions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was looking for an NV3500 to mate up to my 5.3 LS and got a steal on these two shown in the pictures. The guy says he took them out of s10 trucks, one a 4.3L and another was a v8. I did some research on NV3500 transmissions and thought they didn’t come with casting numbers but both of these have casting numbers as shown in the pictures. Anybody know what transmissions these are and if they’ll mate up to the 5.3 LS motor? The one painted silver has a cracked bell housing on one side so I’m really hoping to use the rusty looking one.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The one that has the clutch fork and uses an external slave, is an older unit and probably the predecessor to the NV3500. I can never remember the model name. I had one in my old S10 and it held up to all the abuse that me and the little 4.3 could give it.

I'm guessing you could use a flywheel from a 5.3/nv3500 truck and bolt up either one of them.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Elliot W,

These two are actuated differently though. I know you see that one has a hydraulic actuated clutch, and the other has a manual actuated clutch. Does your truck have a hydraulic clutch? If you don't want to use the one with the crack, and end up using the other one you may have to convert something to one or the other.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the responses guys. The rusty looking (older NV3500) transmission bolted right up to the 5.3! After doing a little more research it seems like this transmission had an external slave cylinder on the passenger side...I wouldn’t think the designers would run a cable clutch all the way over there but I may be wrong.

I assume I could order the master and slave cylinder kit for a 93-98 Chevy 1500 and it would fit the trans, then punch a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder. There is a chance I’d have interference issues with the slave cylinder and LS block though...can anyone confirm the external cylinder works with the 5.3? The other option would be to drill some holes in the bell housing and run an internal slave cylinder if necessary, but I’ve heard external is the way to go if the option is available.

If going the internal route, here is the link for part numbers to make it work:

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/36628-how-i-did-5-3-nv3500-5-speed.html

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I much prefer an external slave. You could use the pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder from an '85-up squarebody truck, in conjunction with the slave cylinder for an early 90's S10 or 1500 with the 4.3v6. Iirc, the bore sizes complement each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1