Can it be saved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Nah, hold on a minute,@Grit dog will load one of his friends up and bring it to you!!! Road trip!!!!!.......right Todd?.....LOL

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
If it was 2 months ago I'd offer to buy the gas for the road trip! I'm not sure what it's doing in the rest of the country but with all the tax increases we are hit with, regular unleaded in Socal is over $3.50 per gal now!

I figure at this point the only thing holding me back from yanking the heads is removing the exhaust manifold bolts, which I would have to do to swap out the engine anyways...might as well get a full frontal and see what's going on in those cylinders if nothing more than curiosity...

I actually thought about an LS swap too but I read something recently that absolutely everything that has to do with the engine has to remain with the swap and that is kinda what I'm trying to get away from!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nah, hold on a minute,@Grit dog will load one of his friends up and bring it to you!!! Road trip!!!!!.......right Todd?.....LOL

I wish! I'd love to take a road trip.

There's alot of engines out there for not alot of money that aren't rusted together was my point.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
So I pulled the passenger side head off..looks relatively normal except for a bit of sludge in #2? Although the penetrating oil didn't drain in the others? I think don't think I'll have enough time to get the driver's side off today...it will be tomorrow's workout!
You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, I'm committed at this point!

Quick question though, I don't see how pulling the heads off would help in getting the lifters unstuck?

It will lighten the engine enough that you can heave it into the dumpster. That will clear the way to shitcan it and do a proper LS swap. Carry on.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
It will lighten the engine enough that you can heave it into the dumpster. That will clear the way to shitcan it and do a proper LS swap. Carry on.

I'd love to...however in the great state of California it seems like I would literally need to have another Suburban sitting right next to it for donor parts and then deal with smog refs, etc... I'm working with some space issues as is, haha

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Damn, lighten up dude, my post was meant in jest. Maybe Santa will bring you a sense of humor for Christmas!

He's a little uptight. He's on the "list".
Dude, it was obviously a joke. Like the truck is most likely fine and they are jokingly saying "oh, no you should just send it to me"

No way, @Paladin was going to wish it to the corn fields. :gr_grin:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I'd love to...however in the great state of California it seems like I would literally need to have another Suburban sitting right next to it for donor parts and then deal with smog refs, etc... I'm working with some space issues as is, haha

Yeah, unfortunately it would have to be smogged as whatever year the LS came from.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry it’s been a while. Finally dug it out of the garage and cleaned it up. Try to starry it this week.

About fricken time! Cool truck. Now start that ****** and drive it!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does it matter if the car is in park vs neutral when trying to unstick the engine? I would think there would be at least SOME resistance in park but admittedly I rocked it a few times in park before I put chocks on the wheels and put it in nuetral.

Thanks!

Neutral, plugs removed

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
This thread got confusing. I was reading along and waiting to see if @B1075 had made progress. Then I saw the pics. And then I see pics from @scenic760. It wasn't until later in the thread I realized that scenic hijacked the thread. Scenic, you need to have your stuff moved to a different thread or start a build thread so we can follow your progress in your thread.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
This thread got confusing. I was reading along and waiting to see if @B1075 had made progress. Then I saw the pics. And then I see pics from @scenic760. It wasn't until later in the thread I realized that scenic hijacked the thread. Scenic, you need to have your stuff moved to a different thread or start a build thread so we can follow your progress in your thread.

Yeah..sorry my friends.. got a little carried away!

B1075

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I don’t mind, scenic needed the help. Although if he starts his own thread I’d like to fallow along. As for my truck, it now has new tires, new battery, a fresh oil change, and topped off the transmission fluid. It runs just fine. I plan on redoing all the brakes and new plugs/wires cap and rotor and she will be on the road.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
They are all over the place. They now call them "Nissans", but they are still Datsuns as far as I am concerned.
other way around, buddy boy. I own two Datsuns, they both say Nissan on the valve cover. That nameplate only ever existed for about a decade. Datsun has not been a thing at all since 1983. For a few years ('79-'83) they carried badging that said "Datsun by Nissan" right on the trunk. America was the only country they were ever called Datsun, Nissan was always the manufacturer. When Nissan toyed with the idea of selling their cars here here but unsure if they would be a success or a flop, being Japanese and all they were afraid that a failure would shame their company, so they picked a random name "Datsun" to call their cars so worst case scenario people wouldn't hate Nissan, and could take their anger out on the made up name. Once they gained some respect in the market here (thanks mostly to the Z cars) they slowly phased in their real name without fear of rejection. Don't get me wrong, modern Nissans are junk, but you got it backwards- when they were still called Datsun they were GREAT vehicles. They were good until about 10-15 years ago, but have sharply gone downhill in recent years (like most other cars, some are just worse than others)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1