Can I use my stock 454 intake???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Dude. I mean when it was -10° outside and I had to go to work at 6pm, I got in my TBI powered K5 and it cranked four times before it started. Idled. No problems.
I was thinking AT THAT TIME "man, i'm glad I dont gave a carburetor!"

I support TBI because it is wildly autonomous. I also support doin wtfe you want. If you've got the parts and want to start hackin up your truck - I will help defend your right to do so - but wont help you do it. Good luck.

Gosh through the '70s and half of the 80's I drove my carbs in minus 40 (Saskatchewan). Pump it 4 or 5 times and it starts, high idle.
They ran great.
TBI was one one of the first and one of the worse, jamming this technology down our throats.

1989 R3500

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
I get that your a TBI fan. But you still gave no good reason NOT to use a carb other than you don't know how to pump a carb three time and hit the ignition when it's cold. Like I said, I've never had a problem. Thus asking what the advantages are.

Been on here a while and never had anyone get steamed over one of my questions. Maybe you shouldn't answer if you can't be cordial.

1989 R3500

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Gosh through the '70s and half of the 80's I drove my carbs in minus 40 (Saskatchewan). Pump it 4 or 5 times and it starts, high idle.
They ran great.
TBI was one one of the first and one of the worse, jamming this technology down our throats.

Exactly my point. Thank You

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I get that your a TBI fan. But you still gave no good reason NOT to use a carb other than you don't know how to pump a carb three time and hit the ignition when it's cold. Like I said, I've never had a problem. Thus asking what the advantages are.

Been on here a while and never had anyone get steamed over one of my questions. Maybe you shouldn't answer if you can't be cordial.

Maybe not.
Maybe youre right mister junior been on here awhile.
Maybe one day you'll be the boss but you sure as hell aint the boss of me.

You ask questions that you already know the answers to and i'll certainly not assist wiping your nose nor apologize that I didn't give the answer you wanted.
Maybe some other guy will placate you

placate

[ pley-keyt, plak-eyt ]
verb (used with object), pla·cat·ed, pla·cat·ing.
to appease or pacify, especially by concessions or conciliatory gestures:to placate an outraged citizenry.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/placate

:flipthebird:

Good day Sir.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe not.
Maybe youre right mister junior been on here awhile.
Maybe one day you'll be the boss but you sure as hell aint the boss of me.

You ask questions that you already know the answers to and i'll certainly not assist wiping your nose nor apologize that I didn't give the answer you wanted.

:flipthebird:

Good day Sir.

Funny part is, the OP was about 3x as polite as you...

BTW, the engine in my '86 originally had fuel injection and now has a carb. Guess I'm an idiot too...

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
What kinda carb you got? I've got a quadrajet on my BBC 454. It's got an 68 camaro intake on it tho and an adapter plate for the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach

I say get an intake for a carb because even if it fits on the tbi intake, it's not made for a carb and I think would hurt it's performance.

Here's the adapter plate for the quadrajet if you have one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKSW41X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_T130HCQT04KY7WARVEQ0

I think that with the adapter plate it sits a bit higher and helps with atomination of the fuel but, what do I know. Lol

I like my setup. Plenty throttle response and can do burnouts. :burnout:

1989 R3500

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Thank you for the reply's Grit Dog and 82sbshortbed.

I have a Holley 650. From what I've read, that should be OK. Not too much or little. The intake I have wasn't designed for peanut port heads. So I'm going to find one of the Edelbrock 2161's.

The reason I asked the question in the first place is that the original owner of the truck said it had gotten hot and fried some of the wires and components. It runs but when I started cleaning up the mess under the hood, I barely touched a few of the wires and they broke off. One of the modules on the other side of the body also has a crack through it. So I thought rather than spending money replacing those parts and not knowing what was still fried I'd just throw an intake carb and distributor on it. The only unknown was the fuel pump.
I've never owned a TBI so it's all new to me.
And FWIW, I have done a lot of reading to weigh the pro's and con's of both carb and TBI. Just thought someone here might have working knowledge.

I'll post when I get it figured out. Thanks

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
TBI has better cold starting, and should get better gas mileage. Good driveability, and reliability, if a stock engine is what makes you happy.

I like carbs or aftermarket EFI for wilder engines.

If you have any interest in keeping the TBI, I might be able to work a deal out with you in the classifieds. I have an Edelbrock Perormer TBI peanut port intake with a Rochester TBI, a Mallory distributor, and an engine wiring harness. I'd have to check the tag on the wire harness, and see if it works with an '89, I think mines a '92.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What kinda carb you got? I've got a quadrajet on my BBC 454. It's got an 68 camaro intake on it tho and an adapter plate for the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach

I say get an intake for a carb because even if it fits on the tbi intake, it's not made for a carb and I think would hurt it's performance.

Here's the adapter plate for the quadrajet if you have one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKSW41X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_T130HCQT04KY7WARVEQ0

I think that with the adapter plate it sits a bit higher and helps with atomination of the fuel but, what do I know. Lol

I like my setup. Plenty throttle response and can do burnouts. :burnout:

The TBI intake in question IS a carburetor intake. GM simply used the same quadrajet intake but with an adapter for the TBI. The big block didn't get it's own dedicated TBI intake until '91.

Now, it's not a good intake though, mind you. Lol. But it is actually a carb intake.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
The TBI intake in question IS a carburetor intake. GM simply used the same quadrajet intake but with an adapter for the TBI. The big block didn't get it's own dedicated TBI intake until '91.

Now, it's not a good intake though, mind you. Lol. But it is actually a carb intake.

Cool. Didn't know that. Thanks for learning me on that. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL