Can I use my stock 454 intake???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989 R3500

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Can I get rid of the TBI and wiring mess and use a Edelbrock or Holley carb on my Stock intake. I believe the TBI sits on top of the adapter. If so I would like to use it for a while until I get to the rebuild of my engine. I don't know what kind of Carb. I can use. (spread bore, quadrajet, etc).

Mine is a 1989 454. And I think I can use a stock fuel pump can't I? I have a new pump, and tank unit for a 1985.

Any help is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If I was getting rid of the tbi I'd go ahead and just get an edelbrock intake. They aren't that expensive and would give you better performance out of the carb too.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I am not sure what carb if any will bolt to the intake. Only way to find out is to pull the TBI and look.

As far as the fuel pump goes you will have to use a pump with lower pressure for the carburetor. Make sure that your engine block actually has a place for the fuel pump to bolt on, that is right about the time they started doing away with them.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If I was getting rid of the tbi I'd go ahead and just get an edelbrock intake. They aren't that expensive and would give you better performance out of the carb too.

FYI the Performer is not compatible with peanut port heads.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
From the few pictures I could find and your pics, it looks like the 454 uses a standard spreadbore intake manifold with an adapter on it. If you have the fuel pump boss, you can probably just disconnect power to the electric fuel pumps and put on a standard fuel pump, metal feed pipe and quadrajet. Although it seems like way more effort than its worth.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have the Edelbrock performer 2.0 and it is made to fit 1965-1990 big blocks with oval ports.
It should be close enough to use just fine on the peanut ports.
Just as an FYI.

That is what I had intended to do with mine.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Aint no way in hell I would dare to dream of removing TBI to swap for a freaking carburetor.

I urge you to reconsider. Maybe you could elaborate on your TBI issues?
Maybe we could help fix it.

You got a race truck or what?
Pix?
Driveability will suffer disproportionately.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
From the few pictures I could find and your pics, it looks like the 454 uses a standard spreadbore intake manifold with an adapter on it. If you have the fuel pump boss, you can probably just disconnect power to the electric fuel pumps and put on a standard fuel pump, metal feed pipe and quadrajet. Although it seems like way more effort than its worth.

It's a good idea but unfortunately his camshaft very likely does NOT have a fuel pump eccentric (lobe) cast in it...I don't think it's that easy...not built to run a mechanical pump.

*not talkin ****, trying to share knowledge. :33:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It's a good idea but unfortunately his camshaft very likely does NOT have a fuel pump eccentric (lobe) cast in it...I don't think it's that easy...not built to run a mechanical pump.

*not talkin ****, trying to share knowledge. :33:

Yeah, I don't know. Are all TBI Mark V, or would it be a late Mark IV? I'm also not really sure on what years they changed a bunch of that stuff over. I know the Mark V/Gen V switchover and the changes you might find in those ones. I know you wont have a lobe or fuel pump boss on any factory Gen VI, but some Mark V and all Mark IV had a boss, right? Did no TBI cams come with lobes?

I agree that it makes no sense to go from a TBI to a carb unless the entire harness, pumps, Injectors, and everything else are hosed.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah, I don't know. ? Did no TBI cams come with lobes?

I agree that it makes no sense to go from a TBI to a carb

I think you're on to somethin. TBI engines certainly had different camshafts than Quadrajet power had installed but I don't know either...centerbolt valve covers for a small block though.
I know I like outrunnin big blocks with a 350 or even 305 an awful lot thus I never had interest in a big block really. Somebody else knows more about them.
Ask @Craig85 he prolly knows.

Then we can go ahead and line em up after you get it fixed mmkay? Holla!
Red glass bulbs!

P.S. that **** is nasty. Pop the hood at the carwash next time huh?
:33:
It sure don't look like it feels very good lol

Way to post pics man, good job and thank you.
Clean engines are happy.:D

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A Quadrajet will bolt right to the '87-'90 TBI manifold, which is MarkIV btw.

But I'm with Rusty, why ditch the TBI?

1989 R3500

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Can you elaborate on what part of "drivability will suffer" you mean? It won't run with an intake and carb? Gas mileage will go down? Won't start, idle?
I've had many pre TBI square bodies and never had any trouble with them running great. My last was a 72 1/2 ton with an 305 and a stock engine with a new holley 600 carb. Drove it for 15 years. Never a problem.

I'm finding out that all the TBI electrical stuff is pricey for a truck I will only be driving a few miles a day. And won't be on the highway with. Just thought it would be easier and cheaper since I have a carb and distributor to use.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
disproportionately
[ dis-pruh-pawr-shuh-nit-lee ]

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/disproportionately

Dude. I mean when it was -10° outside and I had to go to work at 6pm, I got in my TBI powered K5 and it cranked four times before it started. Idled. No problems.
I was thinking AT THAT TIME "man, i'm glad I dont gave a carburetor!"

I support TBI because it is wildly autonomous. I also support doin wtfe you want. If you've got the parts and want to start hackin up your truck - I will help defend your right to do so - but wont help you do it. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg