Can I install a big block radiator in my small block burb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
A drummer? No, why?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Where on the central coast are you?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I figured it would just bolt right in. I think your fan shroud is likely OK. The fan doesn't have to be completely INSIDE the shroud, just up to it and maybe the front portion of the fan fitting just inside the shroud. Glad it worked out. You shouldn't have any cooling issues now. I'm going to be going with dual electric fans on mine soon. Just need to find the right thermostatic switch to turn it on and off at the right temps. Also going to be putting in a relay with an overide so I can manually hit the fans with a toggle switch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Where on the central coast are you?

And here you go Todd. This is the other Burb guy on GMSB. I like his alot. He's added some cool hidden features and looks good too.

If you can find your thread sky, put a link to it in this thread please. :High 5:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I've played with the idea of electric fans, but haven't pulled the trigger because good ones seem to be spendy, and I'm concerned that they may not move the same amount of air as the OE clutched fan. That said, electric fans would sure be nice. They'd be quiet going down the road, they wouldn't suck down about 2mpg all the time, and there'd certainly be a slight boost in power.

So.....I'm getting the feeling their aren't many 'burb owners on GMSB? That's too bad.

Found ours at the local Goodwill Donation Center that takes vehicles. I'd been sitting there for months; peeling paint on hood and roof, passenger front door caved in, right front tire going flat. It was love at first sight, what can I say. Paid $1,900 for it with 225k on it. That was back in 2004 I think. Wound up getting the owner's info and called them. They bought it brand new in San Jose, CA at the GMC dealer. It was the dealer's demo, so that's probably why it's got the electric mirrors, front and rear air, tow package, tinted glass, and rear defrost on the ambulance (barn) doors. The owner's were very excited to know it was going to get saved.

I took it apart and had it painted in the original white. Ordered new badges, front fender, and wheel well trim. Found a wrecked one full of the same upholstery.....bought a bunch of the fabric off the seats and then had our fronts rebuilt. Added a factory GM CD player/stereo that came in the Buicks and replaced all 4 speakers. Rebuilt the entire a/c system, and on and on. We love the darn thing, a lot.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
And here you go Todd. This is another Cali Burb guy on GMSB.

Had to change that, quite a few Suburban owners on GMSB.

If you can find your thread sky, put a link to it in this thread please.

Umm... I really don't have "a thread". Somehow I've managed 650 posts without contributing anything of value. Well, maybe the Walbro fuel pump install might help someone, but most of my little mods were done before I joined here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Had to change that, quite a few Suburban owners on GMSB.

Umm... I really don't have "a thread". Somehow I've managed 650 posts without contributing anything of value. Well, maybe the Walbro fuel pump install might help someone, but most of my little mods were done before I joined here.

yes, there are some Burb owners here, just not as many obviously. I was referring to the contributors.

So that's why I couldn't find your thread. You must have posted your pics in a generic thread.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Found ours at the local Goodwill Donation Center that takes vehicles. I'd been sitting there for months; peeling paint on hood and roof, passenger front door caved in, right front tire going flat. It was love at first sight, what can I say. Paid $1,900 for it with 225k on it. That was back in 2004 I think. Wound up getting the owner's info and called them. They bought it brand new in San Jose, CA at the GMC dealer. It was the dealer's demo, so that's probably why it's got the electric mirrors, front and rear air, tow package, tinted glass, and rear defrost on the ambulance (barn) doors. The owner's were very excited to know it was going to get saved.

I took it apart and had it painted in the original white. Ordered new badges, front fender, and wheel well trim. Found a wrecked one full of the same upholstery.....bought a bunch of the fabric off the seats and then had our fronts rebuilt. Added a factory GM CD player/stereo that came in the Buicks and replaced all 4 speakers. Rebuilt the entire a/c system, and on and on. We love the darn thing, a lot.

That's a cool story. So you've actually revived it from the "almost" dead.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is that Mary Poppins sticking her head out the window of the Burb???
lmfao.... :rotflmao:

The radiator is in. Just bolts right in.....D'oh. My original hoses fit. I modded the lower rubber bushings that the tank seams set down in. Used the big block steel top "closing" panel, and the big block fan shroud.

The only thing that needs to be done is fan is mostly sitting rearward of the shroud opening, instead of inside it. So I'll need to make some sort of extension that screws into the existing shroud. Maybe I'll harvest a portion of the original shroud, or maybe I'll make something out of some 1/4" thick rubber sheet that I have, that's like mudflap type material. I'll have to think about it, and take some measurements.

Holds 3 gallons, including the overflow. I put in 1 gal of Dex Cool and 2 gallons of distilled, less the bottle of Water Wetter.

Re: the Edlebrock, yes, smog legal. Comes with the EGR ports. Everthing fit but the fuel line had to be rebent and I think I did a little bending on the throttle linkage brackets and cruise control business, and then afterward checked and reset the TV cable on the transmission, based on line pressure. Not sure that it was worth the effort, and I'm not sure that my butt dyno can tell the difference. I even played with the ignition timing a bit, running it up to 10* BTDC, and backing it off a little at a time, based on performance on a local 4mi long 6-7% freeway grade that's pretty brutal. I'm at 6* BTDC right now. I got a good deal on it via ebay, but it was quite a bit of work to install.

Re: the tension bar. I'm probably using the wrong term. It's a long shallow V shape with a saddle under the differential housing. It bolts to each end of the axle and is supposed to keep the axle from flexing under load. Probably worthless, but it was $20 at the yard, so how could I resist?

Re: the Yosemite photo, that's my daughter out front, and my Mom was with us for that trip....and hamming it up. Just prior to that photo, that Chipper parked behind us had the road blocked on a banked turn. He was trying to pull someone out of the ditch who'd put chains on the rear of a FWD car. The road had been fine, so we weren't cabled up yet, and weren't even in 4X4. We stopped in the line of traffic, right on the banked curve.......you can guess where this is headed. When traffic started to move again, I gave the throttle a soft touch (driven in snow plenty) and instead of moving forward, we just slide silently sideways, with me working the gas and steering trying to get the tires to hook up. Down the banked turn we slid, until we hit the snow plow bank. Fortunately, the bank was only about wheel high, so it stopped us without crushing the side of the truck. Had it not been there, we would have rolled, down into the forest. The Chipper walked down to us, asked me if we were alright, and then did the 5 step shuffle and fell flat on his back. The road was shear ice under the fresh layer of snow. I cabled up the left side, put 'er in 4X4 Lo, and drove up to the turn-out to do the right side...and take that photo.
I like your posts, you got a unique way of explaining things. I am still trying to get my timing fixed....

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Here's a shot doing parade float duty for our daughter's gymnastics gym....pulling the float I build for them each year.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hell Yeah. !!! We need to do that. Have a Squarebody parade !!! Great idea. We can have Burbs, K5's, Trucks, Short and Long, Lifted and Lowered, Loud and Sleeping etc etc, that would be cool.
The ElCamino guys in TX and from other parts like OK, LA and MO just had a Caravan to Belton, TX for a show and they just kept up picking up more El Co's on the way for the trip. There is over 100 El Camino's in Belton this weekend and they meet at a dragstrip that is just them, noone else. No Elky, No **** !!! And it's all Elkys, not have to be race cars. It's an El Camino show.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Here's a couple photos of the radiator installed. Warning; this is a working truck, not a garage queen. So you'll be disappointed if you're expecting fresh paint, polished parts, and shiny chrome.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks fine to me. Like that biggo radiator !!! And that fan dees appear to be far enough into the shroud IMO.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Actually, the fan isn't into the shroud. I thought it was last night, but with fresh eyes and better light today, nope. Take a look at that first photo, and you can see the blade in front of the p/s pump is about 1/4-1/2" rearward of the shroud.

It's probably ok for normal driving, but I'll need to do something about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d