camino wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YUP, it sure will.
No pop no backfire no flames out the carb ???
An ounce of fuel is not very much fuel. three ounces and You`re getting close.
I like to use a squirt oil can, fill it up with the fuel I have mixed for the chainsaw or wacky weeder, that way You get some top end lube along with the gasoline, does`nt make it quite so raw.
I think I would check the spark, just to be sure that the disturbadater is in good order.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Need to pull a plug, lay the threads against the block, and look for spark. Does this have points on it? If so, that's where I'd start looking, but look for spark first. Coils rarely go bad.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another way to check for spark, if it has the coil in cap distributor.
Remove the plug wires from the dist. cap, remove the coil cover, crank the engine over and if it is getting spark, the spark will jump from the plug wires terminals on the dist. cap to the laminated steel plates of the coil mount.
Much better than trying to see a spark from one single plug laid against a grounding source, that sparks only once every revolution, which if the battery is getting low............................might try the patience a bit. LOL
takes two peoples or else a remote starter button.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Check for voltage at the pink wire on the coil?
If AC Delco parts cant be sourced, a great alternative is Airtex/Wells.

82eLCo77C10

Reaction score
First Name
slade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, got the fuel to come through to the carb. I know its at tdc. I pulled the valve cover on #1 side. Intake and exhaust valve were both up, it did blow my thumb of #1 cyl. Rotor bug was pointing at #1 plug. The balancer mark was lined up with 8 degrees before tdc. When I set the cap back on there the number one tower was right after the rotor bug. Wires are on correctly. So it should have fired up. But it just turned and turned. So I pulled the cap, pulled the control module and had it tested. Module is good. So I pit it back in, cap back on. I took the coil off of my truck, that I know is good. Tried to start it, and it turned twice and then just clicked. Sounded like a dead battery. Had it charged. Tried again, this time with the #1 wire of the block with a new plug, key on, turned it over, and didn't see it spark. Coil is good, module is good, battery was charged. Not sure what else it could be. My dad isn't here any more, so I can't ask him what the heck he did with his motor to get it to start. Before I pulled the distributor, on his cap he had the #1 wire on #3 tower. Should I put the wires back on that way and see if it starts?? Alright, my stupid self had not checked the fuse box under the dash. I did find a fuse blown, it is in the spot marked "ign ecm". What's that one?

Last edited:

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
ignition - electronic control module

Id replace that fuse lol

82eLCo77C10

Reaction score
First Name
slade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mother f*****r. Pardon the French. I'm gonna be kinda bummed but excited if that's all its been this whole time... Lol. Lets hope! If its got an hei distributor in it, would that be bypassed and no use for it??

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Mother f*****r. Pardon the French. I'm gonna be kinda bummed but excited if that's all its been this whole time... Lol. Lets hope! If its got an hei distributor in it, would that be bypassed and no use for it??

Hahaahahahaha

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

82eLCo77C10

Reaction score
First Name
slade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, replaced that ign ecm fuse and the gauge fuse that was blown. I did find out the ecm has been cut out, by looking at the ignition control module (dr100 part #) and the fact that the wires are all cut out under the hood. Put a fully charged battery in it. Got it all put back together, put about 2+ ounces of fuel in the carb, went to start it. But just turned and turned still. So, I got some wire and made a jump wire from the distributor to the battery. Still nothin. Beats the crap outta me what's going on. I checked wires, checked fusable links, check what ever I could see. I have not checked to see if the wires are shorted. I'm just baffled. Possibly bad battery, not being able to turn it over fast enough?? Bad starter??? I dunno

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pickup Coil sort of comes to mind.

82eLCo77C10

Reaction score
First Name
slade
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's what I'm thinking. I've been reading through forum after forum. I dunno what else to try. I'll take a look at it. And see if that's it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Before disasembling the distributor, be sure and check the "indent" on the drive gear, in relation to the rotors contact.
Be carefull when removing that little plastic cover that is under the star wheel reluctor. that plastic cover should be removed, the old hard grease dug out and then repacked with fresh assembly lube, until the new grease is shoved out into the shafts housing and bushing area then the cover put back into place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek