Cam install ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
has anybody done a in truck cam install because i want to put a thumper comp cam in mine and i want to know if anyone has a write up on it or has done it to give me some tips. and to stick the basic thumper cam in i believe you only need stiffer valve springs if i researched correctly, and while im in there im gunna throw in timing gears rather than the new chain. any info would be appreciated and if nobody did one then in a few months ill probably do a write up with major trial and error lol

AzGeo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here but not new to engines, racing, or GM products. IMHO if you have A/C, engine oil coolers or trans coolers, you will have a hard time doing a cam install in the frame. Everything in front of the water pump must come out except for the 'core support'. IMHO I always must 'degree in the cam timing' and that includes 'finding TRUE top dead center'. You will need to turn the crank both directions to do these required actions, and it's just too difficult to do them correctly in the frame. Also, some of those 'Thumper Cams' have lifts near and above .500" and that usually requires 'valve guide/seal clearance' and that means machine shop work. (plus the correct springs) I don't know what your engine is but IMHO you will also need 'screw in rocker studs', if you don't already have them. YES it is APITA to pull the motor out, BUT it's also a larger PITA if you F-it up. IF you do run a gear drive, use one of those MAGNETS that attach around the oil filter, you will need it ! Good Luck !!!!

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hi, I'm new here but not new to engines, racing, or GM products. IMHO if you have A/C, engine oil coolers or trans coolers, you will have a hard time doing a cam install in the frame. Everything in front of the water pump must come out except for the 'core support'. IMHO I always must 'degree in the cam timing' and that includes 'finding TRUE top dead center'. You will need to turn the crank both directions to do these required actions, and it's just too difficult to do them correctly in the frame. Also, some of those 'Thumper Cams' have lifts near and above .500" and that usually requires 'valve guide/seal clearance' and that means machine shop work. (plus the correct springs) I don't know what your engine is but IMHO you will also need 'screw in rocker studs', if you don't already have them. YES it is APITA to pull the motor out, BUT it's also a larger PITA if you F-it up. IF you do run a gear drive, use one of those MAGNETS that attach around the oil filter, you will need it ! Good Luck !!!!

thanks i appreciate it this may get more interesting than expected but pulling the motor out may have to be my best choice

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I had to cut the center post on my core support, but the radiator and ac condenser do need to come out. I riveted mine back together with a new piece of sheet metal that I contoured to match the piece that I cut.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The earlier front ends don't have any clearance issues with the core support. However, no matter what front end style it is, it's awful hard on your body doing a cam swap in the truck. Next time I'm just going to pull the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody