California Emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cal2200

Reaction score
First Name
catie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I need help! I need to bypass the cakifornia emissions on my 1986 chevrolet k10 350 4x4. Anyone know how? My distributor has both vacuum and calif emissions. I need to know how to bypass either the vacuum on the distributor or the cal emissions. Help please

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
"California emissions" is pretty vague, you need to be more specific as to what part of the emissions system you're talking about. What are you trying to accomplish?

cal2200

Reaction score
First Name
catie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My distributor has both the california emissions plug and the vacuum. I need to bypass one or the other

cal2200

Reaction score
First Name
catie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
"California emissions" is pretty vague, you need to be more specific as to what part of the emissions system you're talking about. What are you trying to accomplish?

My distributor has both the california emissions plug and the vacuum. I need to bypass one or the other

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Is there still an emissions sticker on the air cleaner? I'm wondering if you have a 49 state vehicle or one for California standards. I believe the Cali trucks had a carb that requires a signal from the dizzy so it's not as easy as just unplugging something. You should start a thread in the tech section, it will get more traffic than an intro thread.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I need help! I need to bypass the cakifornia emissions on my 1986 chevrolet k10 350 4x4. Anyone know how? My distributor has both vacuum and calif emissions. I need to know how to bypass either the vacuum on the distributor or the cal emissions. Help please

Oh so you have the plug on the side of the distributor and the wires go through the firewall close to it ?

If so that is not just California that is 86'

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually there was a "California emissions package" lol

Ok so do you have a couple of wires to the front top of your carburetor? Known as a mixture control solenoid ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also if you quote me or who ever's attention you want then it shows me/that person, that you quoted me and then I notice that you have added something to the thread

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I believe all he is talking about it is the ESC, Electronic Spark Control which is NOT only a CA emission. It may have came about on Cali trucks first, but ESC came about to help meet the Federal Manufactuer Fleet MPG requirement. Actually I think the Cali trucks came with CCC (Computer Command Control) Feedback carb systems as well as ESC while the Fed vehicles just came with ESC with non computer controlled carb.

At any rate, have you got this figured out yet? You can either replace your distrubutor as a complete unit, or you can by pass the ESC ECM by cutting the plug and twisting a couple wires together and still keep the same ICM (Ignition Control Module) until it dies, then you'd probably want to go ahead and change your dizzy out when that module goes **** up. Let us know, we have the help you're looking for if this is the case.

Though if the system is working, may as well leave it alone. All the ESC consists of is a knock sensor on the passenger side of the block, the ECM and the ICM that has the ability to advance or retard the timing electronically as well as with centrifical weights, and vacuum advance. The purpose is to allow the timing to be as far advanced as possible without pinging and/or detonation.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Exactly. I had the full "Cali" emission's package in an 86' up here. Was sold in Canada from the dealership with the ECM controlled mixture solenoid and the ESC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1