Cab swap help and pointers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hi everybody, I'm new here to the forum but I have some questions but first I'll explain my situation.

Currently right now I'm building a truck, basically from the ground up from about 3 different donor trucks. Right now I have rolling K20 chassis, with tank and fuel lines, that's it.

I'm getting ready to put a cab on it. I plan on using a cab off a 1986 1 ton flat bed dually as it only needs some rocker and corner work. Some small dents. It also came with high hump floor, hydraulic clutch pedal assembly aswell as a hydro brake booster. Which is great because I plan on using a sm465 manual trans.

I'm basically just looking for any tips or pointers in taking the cab off and putting it on the k20 chassis. Or even instructions on the easiest way to go about it and what to look out for .

Thanks

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First make sure you have everything disconnected from the engine to the cab. All wires and grounds. Same goes for the tranny, make sure the boot is off so the shifter will clear the hump. you'll also have to take off fenders, inner and outer, plus the hood. there are 4 bolts under cab that hold it to the frame. Sometimes these can create trouble. If you have access to a tractor with a loader, it'll be easy to slide a 2x piece of lumber through the windows making sure it extends long enough out both sides for the chain, strap. Or if you just have a cherry picker, you'll have to build an apparatus to connect to picker and go through the cab to lift it up enough to clear the frame to be able to back cherry picker up. There is a utube video of one being used. Suggest you also remove the doors. Allows easier access and takes off weight.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks, this is all very useful info. I plan on replacing that cab with one of my other rougher shape ones. I've come to like the dually quiet a bit to a point I feel bad to just use it for the cab. It's rather good shape compared to most trucks we get around here. I'd like to keep her usable for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76