Cab replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tried looking this up in other threads but what all is involved with say using a '77 cab but going to the 81-87 front clip? I know the hood hinges attach differently but not much else. How do you do the modifications? Thanks for any and all input.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's my plan, I can be in Arkansas in a day and Arizona in 2, a four day weekend and about 1,000 bucks get's me a cab ready to bolt on and go another 37 years lol.

How soon do you plan on doing this cab swap? I bet I know where there is a good cab in OK that could be had with good power lock and window doors for $800 and another one with a little dent on the roof and one door could use a little work for $600. But, Cab Corners, Rockers and Floors are excellent in both.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Tried looking this up in other threads but what all is involved with say using a '77 cab but going to the 81-87 front clip? I know the hood hinges attach differently but not much else. How do you do the modifications? Thanks for any and all input.

It can sure be done and has been done. Seems I seen a thread somewhere a few years back where this was done. The thread wasn't done here though. Maybe it was CK5.:shrug: If you do find the info, maybe you can do it to yours and do us a pic write up detail so we have that info here too. I know the main mod that has to be done is getting the older cab prepped with a place to bolt the hood hinges in the cowl because the earlier model hood hinges bolt to the fenders. Then you'll have to drill some small sheet metal holes in the cab to mount the cowl to the cab. The earlier models, the cowl is part of the hood.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is a felony: don't listen to that guy.

Surely this msb does NOT support such actions? Why is that post visible?

OP, If you thought it was worth it - you wouldnt ask, right?

Thanks for chiming in. Some people just don't think of the consequences. Admitting it, posting it on the internet :shrug:

:badidea:

Sometimes, somethings just don't need to be discussed publicly. What's most important in MOST states, but not all, is that the Frame VIN matches the Cab VIN.

In OK what's SUPPOSED to be done is, you take the frame title and the cab title to the Tax Commission, they will issue a state generated VIN # for the vehicle and state will rivet the new VIN # in the driver side door jamb. Me personally, I don't want that. A VIN# that means nothing. Also when moving a VIN tag, you don't use just regular old hardware store rivets. If the rivets are not correct for that year, make and model of truck, then obviously it's going to look like a tampered VIN tag. I just know if I do a cab swap, my dash VIN tag is going to match my frame VIN and it will not appear to be tampered with since the original rivets will still be attached to the original VIN tag.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you sir for the info. I'll give it a look see. May not be doing it if it looks to be too difficult. May just continue looking for an '81-'87 cab.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank you sir for the info. I'll give it a look see. May not be doing it if it looks to be too difficult. May just continue looking for an '81-'87 cab.

IIRC, it's not to difficult, just time consuming. It seems a guy who did the write on this other forum did it to a Suburban. It's been awhile since I seen that thread, so don't hold me to anything, other than I know a thread does exist somewhere on specific "How To" to convert from an early 73-80 front clip to a later 81-91 front clip.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
How soon do you plan on doing this cab swap? I bet I know where there is a good cab in OK that could be had with good power lock and window doors for $800 and another one with a little dent on the roof and one door could use a little work for $600. But, Cab Corners, Rockers and Floors are excellent in both.

I'm not in any particular rush, it'll be sometime this summer, possible August before I'm ready to go pick one up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not in any particular rush, it'll be sometime this summer, possible August before I'm ready to go pick one up.

OK will keep me in mind. I talk alot of **** about getting things done. Not because I just talk **** but seems nothing ever goes as planned for me. About the time I'm about to start working on what I had planned and talked about, something in life happens and I don't get to do it.

However, things are different now. I don't have my house and not working soooo, hopefully I'll really be able to get busy on my truck consolidation then I'll have these cabs available and off of trucks. Never know, I might even be able for a road trip and with covered expenses, maybe meet you part way to shorten the drive.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
OK will keep me in mind. I talk alot of **** about getting things done. Not because I just talk **** but seems nothing ever goes as planned for me. About the time I'm about to start working on what I had planned and talked about, something in life happens and I don't get to do it.

However, things are different now. I don't have my house and not working soooo, hopefully I'll really be able to get busy on my truck consolidation then I'll have these cabs available and off of trucks. Never know, I might even be able for a road trip and with covered expenses, maybe meet you part way to shorten the drive.

Will do, I also have a habit of getting sidetracked lol. But hopefully I'll have everything sorted out.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

I did this back in 1995, I had an '80 3+3 that I put an '85 front clip on. I believe I had to cut slots in the top of the cowl/firewall so the hinges slid in. I also think there are some pins that hold the metal cowl filler to the cab. I haven't had my new '85 project long enough to confirm if you actually need these. Lastly, you will need to trim the front frame rails so the bumper brackets for the 81-87 bumper will fit and possibly re-drill the frame holes to fit the newer brackets. It was a pretty easy process. Mine was made even easier by having a completely assembled front clip to install.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did this back in 1995, I had an '80 3+3 that I put an '85 front clip on. I believe I had to cut slots in the top of the cowl/firewall so the hinges slid in. I also think there are some pins that hold the metal cowl filler to the cab. I haven't had my new '85 project long enough to confirm if you actually need these. Lastly, you will need to trim the front frame rails so the bumper brackets for the 81-87 bumper will fit and possibly re-drill the frame holes to fit the newer brackets. It was a pretty easy process. Mine was made even easier by having a completely assembled front clip to install.

Thanks, I found a similar build thread on a different forum also. It doesn't look too difficult. Thanks for the info.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How does one get the previous post into the italicized and quotation marks? I click on the "quote in message" box but nothing happens. Reminds me of the famous 3 Stooges quote- "I'm trying to think but nothing is happening"! Thanks for any explanation.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
How does one get the previous post into the italicized and quotation marks? I click on the "quote in message" box but nothing happens. Reminds me of the famous 3 Stooges quote- "I'm trying to think but nothing is happening"! Thanks for any explanation.

you click on the quote in the bottom right corner of the reply.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

you click on the quote in the bottom right corner of the reply.

Yep, you will click Quote at the bottom of the message you want to quote, then the reply box will open with your response auto filled of the quote you selected.

If you want to quote more than 1 response, then you click Multi on every response you want quoted, except the last one and click quote on the last one and they are all auto filled when your text box appears for your reply.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, you will click Quote at the bottom of the message you want to quote, then the reply box will open with your response auto filled of the quote you selected.

If you want to quote more than 1 response, then you click Multi on every response you want quoted, except the last one and click quote on the last one and they are all auto filled when your text box appears for your reply.

Thank you guys for the help. Sometimes I swear I'm pretty computer illiterate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt