cab moldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don.V

Reaction score
First Name
donny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
does anybody knows how to take off the cab moldings that goes around the backside of the cab without damaging anything? im want to paint them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe there are speed nuts on the end caps, you have to reach up in the cab with a small ratchet/socket to remove them. Then remove the back trim by lifting it upward and releasing the trim from the tops of the plastic mounting clips.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you're talking about the outide trim mouldings, on the 83 I had there were metal studs made on the cab around the back on the outside, and the trim has a plastic piece made in the back of it to catch the stud. However the plastic becomes brittle and no matter how careful you try to be it usually breaks. I cant remember for sure but I think you have to push upward to pop it off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you're talking about the outide trim mouldings, on the 83 I had there were metal studs made on the cab around the back on the outside, and the trim has a plastic piece made in the back of it to catch the stud. However the plastic becomes brittle and no matter how careful you try to be it usually breaks. I cant remember for sure but I think you have to push upward to pop it off.

Those plastic clips actually aren't made into the trim. The plastic clips lock into the tabs on the body, then you snap the trim onto the clips. The clips have little springy (or they once were) fingers at the bottom (hook those into the trim first) and just a beveled tab at the top (snap the top of the trim over these). Removal is the reverse. Lift the trim upward and release the trim from the top of the clips, then tilt the trim a bit and push it back down to release it from the bottoms of the clips.

Most GM rocker trim was attached with the same style clips throughout the 70's and 80's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast