Cab Install Alignment ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Was wondering if anybody has any info on how to ensure that your cab is sitting in the right place on the frame for alignment purposes ?

With the cab corners and rockers being unreliable places to measure from due to previous damage and differences in the cab supports, I was wondering if there is a professional rule or step process to follow ?

Thanks in advance:)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
bump

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Sorry- just a guess here. It should be lined up with the bed since the bed bolts directly to the frame (no mounts).

Use yardsticks or whatnot along the bed and the cab should be inline with it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There are measurements in the Library that might be of use for this.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry- just a guess here. It should be lined up with the bed since the bed bolts directly to the frame (no mounts).

Use yardsticks or whatnot along the bed and the cab should be inline with it.

Bed can get all screwed out of alignment just as easily. My bed currently hands to the left more than the right right now.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Bed can get all screwed out of alignment just as easily. My bed currently hands to the left more than the right right now.

Exactly mine is rotting away. Im not even gonna bother with it. On the hunt for a complete new/used one.

I would like to get my cab lined up so the hood works.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I was thinking if the core support is lined up square and even that I would use that to line up the cab?

Not sure if that will result in a properly lined up cab on the frame though?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also I noticed the 84 stock mounts don't really leave any room to move the cab much, where as the 87 ones are slotted giving you the ability to move the cab probably an inch from side to side.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I would like to get my cab lined up so the hood works.

Please explain.

The hood mounts to the cab. The fenders mount to the cab and the core support. The core support and cab mount to the frame.

I would just measure from the outside of the frame to the rocker on the cab and make sure that measurement is close to equal on both sides.

The doors are aligned to the cab, the fenders to the door and then the hood is aligned. Main thing about hood alignment is making sure the opening is square.

I would loosely mount the cab, fenders and core support and tweak those components until the hood opening is square.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Please explain.

The hood mounts to the cab. The fenders mount to the cab and the core support. The core support and cab mount to the frame.

I would just measure from the outside of the frame to the rocker on the cab and make sure that measurement is close to equal on both sides.

The doors are aligned to the cab, the fenders to the door and then the hood is aligned. Main thing about hood alignment is making sure the opening is square.

I would loosely mount the cab, fenders and core support and tweak those components until the hood opening is square.

Yes the opening needs to be square but you can have the hood and fenders square but the whole thing crokked on the frame. Know what a mean?

My rockers are unreliable to measure off. I guess its just trial and error. Was hoping maybe there was an easier way to ensure that everything from front to back is aligned like factory.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks Paw Paw

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes the opening needs to be square but you can have the hood and fenders square but the whole thing crokked on the frame. Know what a mean?

My rockers are unreliable to measure off. I guess its just trial and error. Was hoping maybe there was an easier way to ensure that everything from front to back is aligned like factory.

Trial and error was the way I did mine. If I remember correctly there was not much adjustment left to right of the cab and core support when using new bushings.

:cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Trial and error was the way I did mine. If I remember correctly there was not much adjustment left to right of the cab and core support when using new bushings.

:cheers:

Ya that's probably my problem, old bushings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD