Buying engine crane/hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Most engine bays require some sort of tiny angle adjustments to extract the engine, nearly impossible without one of these. Your other option is to remove the whole front clip, but imo it's not worth the hassle when you can use one of these.

ok thanks

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
1,000 lbs is a *****.

We bought a fold up from autozone for around the same price $250 plus tax and stuff or total i forget but sometimes on sale for $220. it does 1 ton or so I think and folds up. I pulled and installed 3 different motor and trans combos. Not a problem.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Make sure you try different search terms when you search craigslist. I searched several different ways then found one for $100 in Kentucky when I searched "engine hoist".

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Make sure you try different search terms when you search craigslist. I searched several different ways then found one for $100 in Kentucky when I searched "engine hoist".

I search engine hoist and engine crane and got nothing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Dont forget motor hoist, motor lift, engine lift, cherry picker, etc.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
All the small tools I've bought from Harbor Freight have been junk so I wouldn't trust an engine hoist from them to save my life.

As for the 1,000lb capactity, I would think you're pushing the limits of the crane with a complete SBC and Transmission.

Mine has three adjustments. By adjusting the position of the jack, I can increase the capacity of the lift from 1500 to 2500lbs. With the jack at the angle for the maximum lift, the weight rating is at its lowest.

FWIW, even the non "collapsible" lifts can be broken down in 5 minutes. I keep mine under one of my trucks unless I need it. I think I have to remove four bolts.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
All the small tools I've bought from Harbor Freight have been junk so I wouldn't trust an engine hoist from them to save my life.

As for the 1,000lb capactity, I would think you're pushing the limits of the crane with a complete SBC and Transmission.

Mine has three adjustments. By adjusting the position of the jack, I can increase the capacity of the lift from 1500 to 2500lbs. With the jack at the angle for the maximum lift, the weight rating is at its lowest.

FWIW, even the non "collapsible" lifts can be broken down in 5 minutes. I keep mine under one of my trucks unless I need it. I think I have to remove four bolts.

Any places come to mind. I know Northern Tool is twice the price of HF for a engine hoist. Nobody locally sells them unless I pay $600 and order one from Napa.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Any if the auto parts places sell them. I think I bought mine from O'reillys for around 200 or so. It's an AC delco and worked great!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the one from autozone is the one we have and it works. I can get pics of it sometime out in the building, it's folded up. I've pulled several motor and trans combo's with it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is another one from HF, doesn't appear to be as good as quality as the sky suggested but its $20 cheaper. You'r call. For safety sake and if you have ever dropped a motor from about 3 -4 ft in the air, its not a pretty site and does alot of damage even if you don't get hurt.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-67441.html

Honestly, and don't laugh, I've never in my life used one. I can see how it makes a difference though. I usually just strategically connect my chain so it will have a little built in. Like connect it 2 or 3 links to the front of the motor instead of center it. And I usually pull motor and trans together in most cases, cus if the trans is out when doing a motor rebuild, I'll go thru the trans while I am waiting for the block in the machine shop.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
the one from autozone is the one we have and it works. I can get pics of it sometime out in the building, it's folded up. I've pulled several motor and trans combo's with it.

Is it the Duralast or Ranger brand? Autozone has another made by Ranger. That link is the Duralast one.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here is another one from HF, doesn't appear to be as good as quality as the sky suggested but its $20 cheaper. You'r call. For safety sake and if you have ever dropped a motor from about 3 -4 ft in the air, its not a pretty site and does alot of damage even if you don't get hurt.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-67441.html

Honestly, and don't laugh, I've never in my life used one. I can see how it makes a difference though. I usually just strategically connect my chain so it will have a little built in. Like connect it 2 or 3 links to the front of the motor instead of center it. And I usually pull motor and trans together in most cases, cus if the trans is out when doing a motor rebuild, I'll go thru the trans while I am waiting for the block in the machine shop.

So can I buy my engine lift chain from places like lowes or is it special made chain?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mine is duralast.

Latest posts