Burnouts with a NP203 full time 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
To answer all your questions:

It has 33x12.50 Baja XTs.
It hooks like crazy under normal circumstances, and pushes your head into your seat like you cant pick it up.
Did donuts in it the the other day, went round and round till it was so dusty inside I couldn't see the gauges, dug a hole in my field.
I dont have pavement anywhere near me for like 5 miles, so its gonna be on dirt. Just wanna dig holes and have fun.
I'm not a noob to the idea, I do full smoke shows all the time in my 86 k10 short bed with a small block 305, muncie 4 speed, and a 205. Just curious if the chain drive is significantly weaker or not.
This truck has one purpose on life... to have fun with. It's a loud, rusty, crusty, chopped up POS, but it sure is fun. Not afraid to break it.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You must be registered for see images attach

Nice chain door. That looks like a fun truck to drive. I'd do burnouts in that too. Lol

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Nice chain door. That looks like a fun truck to drive. I'd do burnouts in that too. Lol
Thanks.
That thing is a blast. Itll drift, do donuts, and scare the crap out of every loving thing around.
Nice smoke show in that vid.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is your place the only settlement in the valley? Looks pretty desolate.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dad once told me a story when I was growing up how he would take his 1959 Chevy and have it roll backwards then he'd rev it up in neutral and drop it in drive. It was the only way he could do a burnout.

Well- that story stuck with me and my 1978 K5 full time 4 blazer with a 400 was my first vehicle. It couldn't do a burnout.

So after the light night movie in town I was taking my buddy home who lived in the south hills and an idea came to me. Stop on the very steep hill, have it roll backwards downhill and do a neutral drop.

It wasn't as good as I thought. So then I did it in LO range. That was fun. I'd still be rolling backwards and smoke was rolling up from the front tires and going in front of the headlights. Finally it would hookup and would go flying up the hill until the top speed of around 40 mph. Since I did it in LO and not LO LOC the rear tires didn't spin though. I didn't know that at the time.

With the blown out glasspacks it caused a lot of noise. All the houses in the area then would have their lights turn on. I'd pop it back in HI range and drive away quietly.

My 203 survived along with my driveshafts... but maybe dumb luck. I was only running 235/75R15s on it though.
Back in the day we called letting it roll backwards and flooring it "backing it down" It was murder on the torque converters also.My bro's 56 Pontiac locked up the rearend doing it right there in the middle of the road.lol

Madmacs

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
How stupid is that? I seen a guy loose his leg popping a clutch. The clutch came through the floor board. Got a scatter shield? ????

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Its chain driven, so I'm concerned itll just blow up putting that much power to just the rear

I'm assuming you're talking about the T-case? The NP203 is not chain driven. It's gear driven. No chains in the exploded view diagram.

The 14 bolt rear end is pretty much bullet proof, it's what's in the carrier that may or may not be bullet proof.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm assuming you're talking about the T-case? The NP203 is not chain driven. It's gear driven. No chains in the exploded view diagram.

The 14 bolt rear end is pretty much bullet proof, it's what's in the carrier that may or may not be bullet proof.

False... Item 45 is the "Drive chain", on top of that you have multiple Drive sprockets and the rear part of the T-case housing is called the "chain housing"(Item 14). The NP205 is the only gear driven T-Case you could get in a square body as far as I know.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
False... Item 45 is the "Drive chain", on top of that you have multiple Drive sprockets and the rear part of the T-case housing is called the "chain housing"(Item 14). The NP205 is the only gear driven T-Case you could get in a square body as far as I know.

I've never had a 203. I thought 208 was the only chain driven. I guess I stand corrected.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1973-k20-350-to-454-swap.29840/page-3. Start at post 35, I do burnouts with my 73 K20 more then I should, but.....has a 205, and the rear lunchbox locker, works very good and tough. Did break my 350 TH though, so I rebuilt it with better parts, and so far it has held together. Have a 4l80e that I will install next winter, along with a Spartan Locker for the front D44. Interesting all the responses you got. I have always love to hotrod, blame my Dad, he loved it to. However you may have to pay the price for broken parts, but at least you find the weak link and eliminate is. I live in a wide open place, so I feel as long as I am not obnoxious to the neighbors, (none except elk and deer), burnouts in front of the house is fine. As the summer progresses, their will be lots of rubber laid down, as other folks see your burnout place and do it to. 67 years old, and a lead foot....just a burden I have to bare alone, sniff.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I like how theres some here that just aint got the guts to to push the skinny and deal with the consequences

Like @82sbshortbed said, its a big block, put that mf to the floor

pretty bad when the 67 year old man will do burnouts, not to mention im sure idahovette will too, and we all know joe has in his blown c10....

Excuses :321:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120