Burnouts with a NP203 full time 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So I have an odd question.
I have a '74 K5 Blazer with a big block 454, Muncie SM465 4 speed, a NP203 full time 4wd, full time front hubs, and a GM 14 bolt rear end. The odometer for the truck says 10k, but I've done the math, and I'm pretty sure it has about 310k (rolled over 3 times)
Now my question is, if I take the front driveshaft out, can the transfer case handle the power of the 454 for doing a burnout? And if the transfer can take it, can the 14 bolt handle it, not sure what type of rear end I have, possibly an Eaton locker.
Its chain driven, so I'm concerned itll just blow up putting that much power to just the rear, but it does take a clutch dump and a 4 wheel peel, without anything exploding.
I'm also curious if I chain it to an immovable object (massive tree, telephone pole, ect.), is its even possible to do a 4 wheel stationary burnout?

I know it's a stupid thing, but I'm just curious what's possible. What goods a big block if you can fry some tires now and then, haha. If I'm being silly, and am going to destroy something, just let me know.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That 203 isn't going to live long like that... if the 14 bolt has a Gov-lock it wont either. The G80 14BFF is well known for grenading in exactly the situation you are describing. Best case is you have an open carrier 14 Bolt so you can stick a lunch box locker in it and it will live forever. A G80 carrier won't accept any aftermarket locker or posi. If you have enough power you can definitely do a 4-wheel burnout, but make sure you don't turn the wheels or the front axle u-joints could go too. The biggest worry for the 203 in my mind would be grenading the chain on the initial clutch dump. Once the wheels are going, the force shouldnt be too bad on it, but the initial shock load on the chain is what will snap it.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
So I have an odd question.
I have a '74 K5 Blazer with a big block 454, Muncie SM465 4 speed, a NP203 full time 4wd, full time front hubs, and a GM 14 bolt rear end. The odometer for the truck says 10k, but I've done the math, and I'm pretty sure it has about 310k (rolled over 3 times)
Now my question is, if I take the front driveshaft out, can the transfer case handle the power of the 454 for doing a burnout? And if the transfer can take it, can the 14 bolt handle it, not sure what type of rear end I have, possibly an Eaton locker.
Its chain driven, so I'm concerned itll just blow up putting that much power to just the rear, but it does take a clutch dump and a 4 wheel peel, without anything exploding.
I'm also curious if I chain it to an immovable object (massive tree, telephone pole, ect.), is its even possible to do a 4 wheel stationary burnout?

I know it's a stupid thing, but I'm just curious what's possible. What goods a big block if you can fry some tires now and then, haha. If I'm being silly, and am going to destroy something, just let me know.

I like the way you think! :burnout: :driver:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
That 203 isn't going to live long like that... if the 14 bolt has a Gov-lock it wont either. The G80 14BFF is well known for grenading in exactly the situation you are describing. Best case is you have an open carrier 14 Bolt so you can stick a lunch box locker in it and it will live forever. A G80 carrier won't accept any aftermarket locker or posi. If you have enough power you can definitely do a 4-wheel burnout, but make sure you don't turn the wheels or the front axle u-joints could go too. The biggest worry for the 203 in my mind would be grenading the chain on the initial clutch dump. Once the wheels are going, the force shouldnt be too bad on it, but the initial shock load on the chain is what will snap it.

That's what I was expecting to hear. Thank you for the insight.
I'm "someday" going to locker's front and rear, so the rear end I'm not so worried about. It was the transfer I was worried about. If I do it, I'll probaly block the rear brakes, and dump it a bit slower.
That big block definitely has enough power to spin all 4, I've dug ruts many times with it. I've also gutted the whole truck, so it's just whats left of the body, engine, and a seat, so it wont take to much torque to get it spinning.
It's fun to think about.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Don't do a burnout. Simple

That's no fun! BBC are made to do burnouts. Lol

I love doing them in mine!

Actually thought about installing a line lock on mine to do better burnouts. Lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If the 203 is tight, it'll take the abuse. In fact, most of that drivetrain can take the abuse BUT if your estimate of 300k is right I'd be worried about some other parts too. With that many miles I'd bet the 10 spline coupler between the 465 / 203 has a lot of wear.

How big are the tires?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Spinnin aint winnin!
The object is to get it to hook up. Anything else is child's play, and broken or wore out parts.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I did a four wheel burnout with my first square, it was a 73 not the one I'm working on it had a 396 in it. I promptly got pulled over and issued a hefty ticket. That was a long time ago while I was in H.S. which I graduated in 77. No need to do a burn out. Go dig some holes with it in the woods.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My dad once told me a story when I was growing up how he would take his 1959 Chevy and have it roll backwards then he'd rev it up in neutral and drop it in drive. It was the only way he could do a burnout.

Well- that story stuck with me and my 1978 K5 full time 4 blazer with a 400 was my first vehicle. It couldn't do a burnout.

So after the light night movie in town I was taking my buddy home who lived in the south hills and an idea came to me. Stop on the very steep hill, have it roll backwards downhill and do a neutral drop.

It wasn't as good as I thought. So then I did it in LO range. That was fun. I'd still be rolling backwards and smoke was rolling up from the front tires and going in front of the headlights. Finally it would hookup and would go flying up the hill until the top speed of around 40 mph. Since I did it in LO and not LO LOC the rear tires didn't spin though. I didn't know that at the time.

With the blown out glasspacks it caused a lot of noise. All the houses in the area then would have their lights turn on. I'd pop it back in HI range and drive away quietly.

My 203 survived along with my driveshafts... but maybe dumb luck. I was only running 235/75R15s on it though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Since we’re prepping for stupid human tricks here, couple tips to keep your old truck together while doing a smoky burnout.
1. It’s not the burnout that’s hard on the drivetrain, it’s getting there and hooking up afterwards. Think about that.
2. The easier you get it to burn rubber, the less **** will break.

Make sure you’re not on a super traction surface. Like concrete or new asphalt. Hell, if you’re just doing burnouts wet the road down, piss on the tires, make a bleach box, whatever.
Don’t try it with big ass oversized tires for the drivetrain.
Air the tires way up so they’re hard, not soft and grippy. Hard tires will roll just as much smoke but are much easier to light up!

we expect a video of a good burnout as payment for the advice!

Chain it to a tree??? Wtf is that.
Over and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL