Brake Question for you square body gurus.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggs

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
just did a search and couldnt find an answer.

i went and bought new brake pads and new calipers for my 87. the driveside went on without to much of a pia.

now the passenger side im having major issues. seems like a stupid question but it cant fiqure it out.

i put the brakes inside the caliper and went to put them onto the spindle and they just will not slide up enough for the pins to go into place. i know this may sound strange but it seems as if the brake pads have to much padding on them... lol. but ive tried everything. the caliper is closed completly and the rotors arent new but still have a lot of meat left on them....

i sure would appreciate all inputs...

i needed to get the truck out of the garage due to brake fluid all over the place and wanted to get it cleaned up. so i put the old pads back on the passenger side and they went on without an issue of course.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Did you push the two caliper bolt sleeves back out?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I would double check that the caliper is fully colapsed and the pads are in flush and if it still wont go on I would compare/measure the rotors/calipers/pads and make sure all things are equal.

riggs

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
will do i double checked a bazillion times on the caliper it was fully closed, thats the way it came from oreillys.

when i went to the parts house the first time to get driver side caliper he asked which brake system i had, this last time a different guy just pulled a caliper for 87 1/2 ton and didnt ask which brake system i had.... that might be the issue, updates to come tomorrow just thought id ask you gurus first....

thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
will do i double checked a bazillion times on the caliper it was fully closed, thats the way it came from oreillys.

when i went to the parts house the first time to get driver side caliper he asked which brake system i had, this last time a different guy just pulled a caliper for 87 1/2 ton and didnt ask which brake system i had.... that might be the issue, updates to come tomorrow just thought id ask you gurus first....

thanks
he gave you a 2wd caliper.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci

thanks
Maybe he gave you a caliper for a 1in rotor when you need a 1 1/4in or vise versa.

riggs

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
so there is a difference in the opening on the caliper, i swear parts houses within the northern ky area dont know their ass from a hole in the ground :flipthebird:

Illuminati

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/Silverado
Engine Size
350 4bbl
A lot of 'em don't. A lot of times I bring parts with me to show them what I need instead of arbitrarily grabbing ****.

I also agree with the other fellas...probably got the 2wd stuff instead of 4x4 is that's whatcha got.

riggs

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
my truck is a two wheel drive..... guess ill have to pull the truck back apart tomorrow and take another trip to oreillys....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe he gave you a caliper for a 1in rotor when you need a 1 1/4in or vise versa.

Yeah, the parts idiot gave you the wrong caliper.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
my truck is a two wheel drive..... guess ill have to pull the truck back apart tomorrow and take another trip to oreillys....

Your vehicle info at the left says k10

burbboysgc

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
I've had the same thing happen to me when I changed my brakes. I always double check any part I get now, even when it's from a parts store with a better reputation. Aint nothin worse than wasting time trying to put the wrong part on. I think I cussed for about 2 hours before I figured this can't be the right part.

riggs

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Your vehicle info at the left says k10

it sure does say k10 i'll be switching that i set up my account via my smartfart phone, guess i aint to smart at using it.... :)

well gurus i fiqured it out, jack asses at parts house sold me the wrong caliper. he sold me a caliper for a different brake system....

its all back together now..

thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP