Brake light switch activates running lights and interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thump

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
As the title states, whenever I press the brakes, my running lights and interior light come on. However, they don't activate when I turn on the switch for them, only with the brake light. Am I correct in assuming this is a short somewhere? I've consulted the wiring diagrams but no dice.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Am I correct in assuming this is a short somewhere?

Yes. The cross connection is probably in the wiring harness that runs up inside the steering column. As a test try this:

Locate the brake lights switch - the wires to it will be white and orange. Cut the white wire. Make the cut in a place that will allow for an easy re-splice.

Step on the brakes and observe whether the problem goes away.

Last edited:

Thump

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yup, that did it! White wire disconnected killed the lights!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well, you know... I wouldn't get too excited.

True, you have identified where the problem exists, but you still need to make the repair.

If you're lucky, the short - from the brake lights to the parking lights - is in the actual MFS (multi function switch). If you are not lucky, it is in the wiring - specifically the group of wires that runs up the column.

If you have a tilt steering wheel, try positioning it at either the very top or bottom - sometimes that will disconnect the short.

As far as why the dome light illuminates when the brakes are applied - your guess is as good as mine on that one.

Thump

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for your advice man. I was able to find the mess of wires that were causing issues. There were three or four wires cut and taped together (very poorly I might add) under the dash that were causing the lights to come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512