Brake light faintly illuminated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Let me know what you find lol maybe itll help me
Ok, so there should only be 2 switches. One on the e brake, and one in the proportioning valve that indicates loss of pressure at the valve on one side or the other.
I'm pretty damn sure that's what mine is. Fluid, like I said, was almost dry in the front tank. I've since filled it up, but I'm assuming this old bitch's master cylinder and valve didn't like it one bit.

Since yours is partially illuminated? Hell, I don't know......switch on it's way out? Electrical?
Hopefully someone will chime in who's seen it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I have heard of this before , but can't seem to find anything in the 82 shop manual.

I wonder if pushing the parking brake switch would help any - if maybe it has corrosion on it.

Or, if disconnecting the wire plug from the proportioning valve would help it.

Guesses, both, but if neither makes a difference then I would wonder if the printed circuit board is a passing.

Let us know.

Britt

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
**** me.
I'm about to take this truck out back and shoot it.

So I'm pissing around, shine a flashlight on the wheel cylinders, and sure enough, the left rear is leaking. No big deal (even though that's the stuck wheel I was pounding on the other day). Still, whatever just a wheel cylinder.
So then I notice a tiny puddle in a weird place under the bed. I look up, and there's obviously a little fuel leak somewhere. Wtf. So I reach up and smear my thumb across the wet spot on the tank and fuel comes streaming out of the very bottom of it.
Wtf do I do now?
So I remember that my daughter got a gumball machine for Easter. There's like 4 purple gumballs sitting beside it (because she hates the purple ones). I chew them up real quick, crawl under the truck, and jam that **** in the hole.
It stopped the leak, but what the ****.
The bed's coming off for sure now. Ugh. lol...
You must be registered for see images

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
**** me.
I'm about to take this truck out back and shoot it.

So I'm pissing around, shine a flashlight on the wheel cylinders, and sure enough, the left rear is leaking. No big deal (even though that's the stuck wheel I was pounding on the other day). Still, whatever just a wheel cylinder.
So then I notice a tiny puddle in a weird place under the bed. I look up, and there's obviously a little fuel leak somewhere. Wtf. So I reach up and smear my thumb across the wet spot on the tank and fuel comes streaming out of the very bottom of it.
Wtf do I do now?
So I remember that my daughter got a gumball machine for Easter. There's like 4 purple gumballs sitting beside it (because she hates the purple ones). I chew them up real quick, crawl under the truck, and jam that **** in the hole.
It stopped the leak, but what the ****.
The bed's coming off for sure now. Ugh. lol...

Nothing like a little jury rigging!

Can't remember- will JB Weld hold up to fuel?

If it will, ...

:anitoof:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Ok, so there should only be 2 switches. One on the e brake, and one in the proportioning valve that indicates loss of pressure at the valve on one side or the other.
I'm pretty damn sure that's what mine is. Fluid, like I said, was almost dry in the front tank. I've since filled it up, but I'm assuming this old bitch's master cylinder and valve didn't like it one bit.

Since yours is partially illuminated? Hell, I don't know......switch on it's way out? Electrical?
Hopefully someone will chime in who's seen it.

So the e brake is supposed to make that light come on?

I just went out to check and all the e brake pressing in the world does not make that light come on.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
So the e brake is supposed to make that light come on?

I just went out to check and all the e brake pressing in the world does not make that light come on.
Yeah, parking brake should light it up.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
And wouldn't you know, the back-up jb weld I keep in the top drawer of my dresser is MIA. Lol...

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Yeah, parking brake should light it up.

And wouldn't you know, the back-up jb weld I keep in the top drawer of my dresser is MIA. Lol...

Well ****, to both of those^^^^^^

I'm probably not gonna shoot it though. Probably.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Isn't that off the switch on the prop valve? Seem to recall having the switch fail before on a 76 I had that did that, can't remember if the switch failed or the prop was stuck.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
As to the brake light issue for Kilgore, your prop valve may need recentering after running one of the circuits dry.

The fuel tank should just get replaced. $100ish for a new tank is worth the peace of mind, imo. And do the sender too. I think it’s under $30 for a pre87 sender.

If I’m not mistaken, the prop valve circuit is a grounding circuit. May have a spot worn through on the wire that’s contacting the frame...

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
As to the brake light issue for Kilgore, your prop valve may need recentering after running one of the circuits dry.

The fuel tank should just get replaced. $100ish for a new tank is worth the peace of mind, imo. And do the sender too. I think it’s under $30 for a pre87 sender.

If I’m not mistaken, the prop valve circuit is a grounding circuit. May have a spot worn through on the wire that’s contacting the frame...
Good stuff.
And yeah, I'm definitely planning on replacing the whole tank. I've seen them for like $70. And yes, the sender. My fuel gauge doesn't work anyway. Heh.
What's funny is the other tank is totally rusted through so I planned on putting a new one over there, too, with a new switch valve, sender, pump, etc.
That's why I was talking about taking the bed off. That way I could get to any fuel or brake lines that might need it, paint some stuff, etc.
Only problem is, I dont have a picker or anything to pull it off.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
This tank that's leaking from the bottom is the 'good' one. Hell, it only looks maybe 10yrs old? Very light surface rust, and not even rusty where the hole is.
Makes me wonder what the inside looks like, though. :eek:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Good stuff.
And yeah, I'm definitely planning on replacing the whole tank. I've seen them for like $70. And yes, the sender. My fuel gauge doesn't work anyway. Heh.
What's funny is the other tank is totally rusted through so I planned on putting a new one over there, too, with a new switch valve, sender, pump, etc.
That's why I was talking about taking the bed off. That way I could get to any fuel or brake lines that might need it, paint some stuff, etc.
Only problem is, I dont have a picker or anything to pull it off.

What year is your truck?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Just wonderin when, you said about the dual tanks and switch valve. My 78 has duals with a bad switch valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128