Bought a kid that isn't mine a 1976 Nova...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Don't know the whole story (do we ever?), but it makes my blood just boil. I'm glad I'm not a violent person.

If you've got a place to store it, I'll send you $250 (or whatever it takes to re-acquire the Nova).

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Don't know the whole story (do we ever?), but it makes my blood just boil. I'm glad I'm not a violent person.

If you've got a place to store it, I'll send you $250 (or whatever it takes to re-acquire the Nova).
Sadly it will never be sold again and the yard will be putting it out for the vultures to pick at.

All of the friends let him know that he hastily acted and that it was not the right move.
The car was for sale online for a bit, but the parental units and the apartment complex drove him to react poorly.
While we all saw it for sale to the general public, we were hopeful that it would be snapped up and put back into service.
But like all stories of the idiots on the internet responding to ads, this was no different.

"Can you make it drive?"
"Will you trade for random junk?"
"420?"

He argued that if the friends had wanted it, they should have said something.
But the response to that was the car was listed for $750 and they didn't know that he would be willing to take nearly nothing for it.

I told Max at that price I would have brought it home and dropped a V8 / transmission in to make it a runner to sell that way. Or pull the front subframe to transplant under the front of my '54 Bel Air.

Now, it is gone and we will move on.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Sad to see. Hopefully that influence will at least help him in the future to maintain his stuff on his own rather than paying out the nose for others to do it. Maybe he'll get back in a classic when he's older.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Sadly it will never be sold again and the yard will be putting it out for the vultures to pick at.

All of the friends let him know that he hastily acted and that it was not the right move.
The car was for sale online for a bit, but the parental units and the apartment complex drove him to react poorly.
While we all saw it for sale to the general public, we were hopeful that it would be snapped up and put back into service.
But like all stories of the idiots on the internet responding to ads, this was no different.

"Can you make it drive?"
"420?"

But the response to that was the car was listed for $750 and they didn't know that he would be willing to take nearly nothing for it.

I told Max at that price I would have brought it home and dropped a V8 / transmission in to make it a runner to sell that way. Or pull the front subframe to transplant under the front of my '54 Bel Air.

Damn... I would have gone up there and pulled it down to Salem for more than the $250. It would have made a great home for the 350 out of the truck when I swap it to the 454. I'd have just made it a pissed off bracket racer for weekend fun times up at Woodburn

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Damn... I would have gone up there and pulled it down to Salem for more than the $250. It would have made a great home for the 350 out of the truck when I swap it to the 454. I'd have just made it a pissed off bracket racer for weekend fun times up at Woodburn
Yuh.
We never saw it coming like it did.

He will always have the like for older cars as most of them have them.
Max:
1 -1955 Bel Air
1 - 1949 Truck
1- 1973 VW Bug
Jacob:
1 - 1966 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4
1 - 1973 AMC Hornet
Jake:
1 - 1969 Ford Galaxie
1 - 1983 Ford F250 4x4
Gabe:
1 - 1970 Dodge Dart
1 - 1973 Plymouth Fury Wagon
Jacob O:
1973 C10 Squarebody
1972 F250
Me:
1954 Bel Air
1970 VW Squareback
1979 C20 Squarebody

So he will be surrounded by old cars when they all get together no matter what.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Cool car. Can't believe I just saw this thread. Lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yup.
@Maxwellvis has a buddy Brian.
Brians home life has not been the best, but he is a good kid.
He currently drives a VTec Honda Civic and is not real fond of it.

The three of us were going to the junkyard yesterday to look for some stuff.
I had no agenda other than finding gold in what ever car I could find.
Max was after a set of seats from a Hyundai Tiburon that he will fit into the '73 VW he now owns.
Brian wanted a front fender for said Honda as he was backed into the other day and it was bent all to hell.

We went in and paid the entry fee and the boys noticed the Nova sitting in the complete cars for sale row just outside of the doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

We all oogled it and poured over the whole car, there is some rust and little things that need to be taken care of over time.
But that does not stop it from running and driving.

Pop the hood and there is a greasy but very original 250 straight six backed up by a 3 speed auto (I suspect a TH350).
This car is 100% original and has not been molested at all.
It came with AC but the compressor was long ago removed, that is the biggest change to it that we had found.

It is a Concours level trim package (think Silverado).
Inside there are bucket seats and a console shifter for the transmission.

The yards asking price was a cool $1999.
The boys were trying to figure out how to find that money.
I told them they are going to let you haggle the price down just like I did on a $200 set of wheels and tires I bought there last year for $120.
So Brian offered $1200 and that was rejected and a counter of $1300 was made.
That was accepted and now I have another car in my driveway until Brian is able to get the title transferred to his name.
He will pay me back when his Honda get sold after the insurance companies do their things due to that lady that backed into him.
Brian in his new to him hotrod.

We got the car home and it ran and drove just fine all the 5 miles it had to go.
The kids then went up to the auto parts store that Max works at and bought the car all new belts, hoses, and other tune up parts.

After all that was installed, they washed all the grime off the car and this is what we bought...
Very cool! 1. You are a good dude for helping that young man out. 2. it's cool that he's now stumbled into "hot rodding" and is grinning ear to ear 3. I'm sure this experience will make a large impact on that young man's life

Nicely done :handshake:

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350

I would have gone up there and pulled it down to Salem for more than the $250.
Everybody and their brother would've given $250 for that car, myself included if it was semi-local. Hell, my wife has been asking for her own hotrod, specifically a Nova. She likes the earlier 2 doors, like everyone else, but this would've fit the bill.

It's sad to see the cookie crumble like that. The lameness, and cost, of the Nova's replacement only make it more agonizing.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

"Can you make it drive?"
"420?"

I have to say that ive always hated the looks of that age but shame on him and its a shame it went back to waste.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
The rust on the rear quarters is indicative of the trunk metal thinning or rotting out entirely on these models.
When the rot consumes the rear end, the spring perches and rear stamped frame make the entire vehicle worthless...
There is no way to reinforce the back perches, once they start to rust... This model was one of the first towards uni-body...
Rotten quarters really tell the tail. There's very few of these at the drag strips, as a result...
Using the front sub frame for the Belair is only worth it, if the rust has not gotten to it... the low grade steel used is really the issue with these years...
It was more like pot metal... designed to rust... the frames are garbage...

At least you got some good parts off it before it went to car heaven...

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Sad ending. This was my favorite "non-square" thread on this forum and was looking forward to future updates. Oh well. Thanks for taking all the time to post/update this thread along the way :cheers:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Saw a similar vintage Nova out today.

Attachments