Bought a 1984 parts truck... how can i use the fenders/hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Tried to search but I guess the search function on this site hates me.

I needed a new bed (among many other things) and found a complete truck minus motor/trans for $250 with a good bed. I plan to steal parts from it and since my hood and fenders are already rusted, what does it take to do the swap?

I would want to keep my 76 front clip/lights as well. From the changes I can see even though I dont have my 76 fenders/hood anymore is that the hood at the back is different and the fenders attach differently. Even if I cannot modify the hood, can the fenders and fender wells be used? Or do they not line up to 76 doors?

I need one of the doors from the 84 as well. Is there anything different between them other than provisions for electric windows?

At worst I got a bed for $250. At best I got hood, fenders, doors and a hood that I can use.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The newer hood doesn't have the cowl on the back like the older truck so for it to be complete you would need to bring the cowl over from the newer truck and mount it to the top of the firewall. I believe the fenders will interchange the only part that I would worry about is if the grill and headlight bezels will fit with the fenders. if not then you would need the entire newer front clip.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The newer hood doesn't have the cowl on the back like the older truck so for it to be complete you would need to bring the cowl over from the newer truck and mount it to the top of the firewall. I believe the fenders will interchange the only part that I would worry about is if the grill and headlight bezels will fit with the fenders. if not then you would need the entire newer front clip.
Look over the hinge mounts I seem to remember something about those differs.

The wiper transmission will need to be swapped over too.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What year is the cab?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
What year is the cab?

I'm assuming that by reading the original post it's an 84 cab. The hood is gonna be an issue, the fenders should not. Worst case, you sell the hood and pat yourself on the back for only being into it for $250 which is dirt cheap considering you have a replacement bed. The doors should interchange as well. Does the new bed have double tanks? Also the 84 bed has a different fuel door and the 76 had an external gas cap not a door. This can be modified with a little ingenuity to work.

Last edited:

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
The 84 does have double tanks and I wanted to steal both of them during the swap as well. I've been searching for a while now and haven't found a good long bed with the round filler cap.

Good to know the doors and fenders are a direct swap though.

After working outside from 7am-11pm yesterday dismantling the 76 then starting on the 84 I ran out of steam. Unbolted the bed on the 84 and the hood and just did not have the juice to lift the hood off last night. Probably didn't help it's still on a trailer but still, got my ass kicked yesterday. :)

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the doors are a direct swap, the fenders are not. the fenders will bolt right on but the hood hinges are different the core support is also different. getting the hood to work is a pita. imo it's far better to keep the front clip as it should be. highdesertranger

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My square is a frankenstein...84 frame, 87 cab, 86 shortbed (the 84 frame was originally a longbed, that we shortened and grafted in the passenger side fuel door). The front fenders are from an 87. The hood and grill are from an 85 suburban. Alot of work, but with patience it will all come together.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The doors are a swap, but the glass isn't as thick on the 80's trucks. You might have an issue with the window channels and regulators being incompatible.

I don't believe the 80's fenders and hood will work with the 70's core support. I don't believe they would bolt up properly. You more than likely would also have issue with the hood latch lining up as well.

I do believe the inner fender wells are consistent across all squarebodies, so you should be fine with that and the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS