Can I modify a window sweep with silicone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
It seems they sent me the wrong window felt for my 87 truck. Maybe it's for a van or something, I dunno. It's the window sweep, and you can see the problem in the pic. When the window meets at the top, there is still a gap where you can see light coming through. That's the only problem area, I can make the rest fit fine.

So can I just use black silicone to fix the gap? Maybe I could apply the silicone to the seal, and then roll up the window with some wax paper coated in oil. That would seal up the hole, while keeping the window from getting glued shut. After the silicone dried the hole would be plugged up for good.

Any reason this plan won't work?

Attachments

• NewSealPic.jpeg
    NewSealPic.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 52

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
If anyone is curious, the problem with this new seal is that the corner is not round. I looked at the driver's side, and it's just a round flowing corner in that area. This new one is angular, and it has a metal tab on the back, in the corner. So I'm guessing it's for some other vehicle, that has a hole for that tab to fit into. My truck has nothing there, nowhere for that fastener to hook into.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
dunno.....if it don't fit....think you'll be asking for trouble later. I'd send it back to get the right one. Thought is you don't want to dork with the window seals more than you have to. Get it right and done with so you can move on to the next issue and not worry about it.

Just a thought

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Yeah that would be ideal, but the trouble is I ordered the seal too long ago. Now they don't want it back.

Guess I've learned my lesson. When you order parts you have to install em now, or else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69