Booster/Jump Start Packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
IF yo utry to charge a battery on 20 amps that is dead you will build heat and kill the battery GARUNTEED. Slow charging on low amp keeps heat low and will help a battery more then anything when thay are dead.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes they were made to charge a dead battery.

No vehicle has a charging system that was meant to recover dead batteries, they are only meant to power the vehicle systems and MAINTAIN a battery charge.

You cannot reliably gain a full charge from a vehicles charging system due to several variables which could alter the charging process. Issues such as how much power from the charging system is diverted to the battery, how long the power is available, the size and depth of discharge of a battery and the air temperature can all work against restoring a battery to an acceptable level of charge.

Do I need to add the fact that surface charging or continuous undercharging a battery will lower its capacity over time? Deep discharging can damage batteries and will shorten their lifespan. When a dead or discharged battery needs to be recharged, the only way to reliably restore it is to use an appropriate multi-stage battery charger. The voltage needs to be high enough to mix the battery acid evenly in the electrolyte to prevent ‘stratification’. Using the charger not only ensures that you charge the battery thoroughly, but you also save wear and tear on the engine and fuel by using the charger over running the engine in an attempt to build up a charge.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Now are we talking completely dead battery or half dead battery? If it was half dead battery I'd still jump it on a mower. On completely dead battery I'd charge it first especially if it went from sitting during the cold winter months.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Your the one that said charging systems are made to recharge dead batterys so you tell us. I dont even like letting the engine do the work when it just slow turning over that means its still over working the altenator.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Your the one that said charging systems are made to recharge dead batterys so you tell us. I dont even like letting the engine do the work when it just slow turning over that means its still over working the altenator.

That was my fault. I should have said half dead battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia