Boom Mat under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I am considering using the spray-on Boom Mat on the underside of my hood. Anyone ever done this?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I am considering using the spray-on Boom Mat on the underside of my hood. Anyone ever done this?
Nope… But I am kinda curious how this or the lizard skin stuff works (and looks)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I haven’t, but I wouldn’t. Especially on a truck as nice as yours.
You can buy a new hood liner with clips for $70 if you desire insulation or sound deadening. Not a whole lot more money and far less effort and looks original.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I haven’t, but I wouldn’t. Especially on a truck as nice as yours.
You can buy a new hood liner with clips for $70 if you desire insulation or sound deadening. Not a whole lot more money and far less effort and looks original.
Hi, thanks. That is the problem. I did buy a new hood liner and clips and Mickey Mouse decided it would make nice bedding material and built a nest up in the nose of the hood over the latch loop and invited their friend to build a nest further back and then store their acron trash under the liner, down on the block and on the air filter cover. So, no more hood mat - sadly ripped it out.....and it looked so good!!!! :(

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Hi, thanks. That is the problem. I did buy a new hood liner and clips and Mickey Mouse decided it would make nice bedding material and built a nest up in the nose of the hood over the latch loop and invited their friend to build a nest further back and then store their acron trash under the liner, down on the block and on the air filter cover. So, no more hood mat - sadly ripped it out.....and it looked so good!!!! :(
Borrow a cat from someone! And only feed it enough to keep it around.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@My78truck
Yes I read that after I posted before. That’s too bad especially since they got into a new mat.
Personally I don’t like that hood insulation on any vehicle. I won’t remove it if it’s in good shape but I won’t install it just for noise. Eventually it gets wet, it sags. Gets full of dust n dirt. Etc.
Paint the underside of that hood up mice…I mean nice, lol, to match the truck and enjoy the view while flipping the middle finger to the rodents!!

Or in other words regarding the spray on boom mat, or other “permanent” or hard to remove modifications, think real hard about whether you want that mod to be there forever or not.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I would send you my cat, Thunder but he does a good job. He's way spoiled. sleeps inside during the day and at sundown he wants out. He's about 3 years old weighs in between 15 and 17lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got him as a baby, fixed as soon as possible. Not afraid of any dog as you can see he took over the bed today. zero rodent problems!!

Clean it up like and spray it. The plus in removing the insulation is if it does get wet it adds unwanted weight which can make the hood fold if your not careful.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I would send you my cat, Thunder but he does a good job. He's way spoiled. sleeps inside during the day and at sundown he wants out. He's about 3 years old weighs in between 15 and 17lb

Cowl Induction 2.0?

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
This is probably one of the best solutions:

3M Heat Rated Sound Barrier
3M Sticky Pad Sound Barrier
Adhesive

These products are rated for and claim to be used under your hood.
Temp ratings are no where near 600 degrees but they are probably conservative, not over rated.
Most every aftermarket El-Cheapo sound barrier (with speculative heat ratings), use sub standard glue on the pads...

So they get hot, the glue dries out and they fall off.
The off gassing from inferior chemicals in the El-Cheapo pads and the toxic waste they may be made from can make you sick.

If you buy a quart or more of adhesive, you can perimeter and center spot the the excellent 3M glue the rubber sound barrier includes and use it to glue the sound pads and they will probably never come off.

Make sure you prep and go through the process as a dry run before you start though...

"Thunder: Get the Mouse!"

Last edited:

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Perhaps you could epoxy some metal angle iron hood stiffeners under this stuff and your hood will never bend?

This is probably one of the best solutions:

3M Heat Rated Sound Barrier
3M Sticky Pad Sound Barrier
Adhesive

These products are rated for and claim to be used under your hood.
Temp ratings are no where near 600 degrees but they are probably conservative, not over rated.
Most every aftermarket El-Cheapo sound barrier (with speculative heat ratings), use sub standard glue on the pads...

So they get hot, the glue dries out and they fall off.
The off gassing from inferior chemicals in the El-Cheapo pads and the toxic waste they may be made from can make you sick.

If you buy a quart or more of adhesive, you can perimeter and center spot the the excellent 3M glue the rubber sound barrier includes and use it to glue the sound pads and they will probably never come off.

Make sure you prep and go through the process as a dry run before you start though...

"Thunder: Get the Mouse!"
Thats not my hood, its just a picture of one I found to illustrate what can happen if its not taken care of.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Yah, my post was wrong... you are correct.

Adding anything which stiffens the hood out smart's the engineers who designed it to bend, in just the right spots, so it doesn't go through your neck in an accident.

The guys using carbon Fiber on a Street car, are learning the hard way...

Thousands of dollars for carbon and you end up with something not too different than this:

Blue light special. Right through the pillar...

This one is solid fiberglass, for your Drag Race Truck... being sold on eBay.
The scoop is backwards for Nitromethane or Alcohol...

If you hit the wall head on, see above pic^^^.

Your head had better be in line with the raised cowling when it comes through...

Thankfully, there's no photo's on the web of a modified hood scoop with 5 pounds of fiberglass added, or a solid sheet of carbon/epoxy slicing through the windshield... and we all know they are out there somewhere... in some police accident report.

My post is edited for safety... no need to lose your head over a bent hood...

Reinforcing hood bad...

Thunder is cool.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would send you my cat, Thunder but he does a good job. He's way spoiled. sleeps inside during the day and at sundown he wants out. He's about 3 years old weighs in between 15 and 17lbs.

Got him as a baby, fixed as soon as possible. Not afraid of any dog as you can see he took over the bed today. zero rodent problems!!

Clean it up like and spray it. The plus in removing the insulation is if it does get wet it adds unwanted weight which can make the hood fold if your not careful.
Contrary to your generosity, my cat, Tacoma, is not up for rent, lease or sale.
Same as yours, he comes inside when he wants, but generally spends >12hrs/day outside/in the garage.
No rodent issues here.
And he thinks he’s a dog.
Always chows n some dog food when I’m fixin up the nightly dog food.
Also not afraid of the dogs. He’s whipped all of them, even the one not pictured and the ones who are dearly departed.
He’s awesome! And I don’t like cats! Lol

This one doesn’t fck with him either unless they’re playing.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Yea I really wasn't a cat person until Thunder came along. He's easy to like, feed him scratch his head he's happy and moves on.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cowl Induction 2.0?
Meowwll induction 2.0. Sorry I had to. Nothing to see here, move along.

I don’t mind cats, had a couple real good ones, Fidel and Luella. (One had cancer, other taken my a coyote we think). Both super mellow and good companions.

A few years back we did get a kitten but she was a nightmare. We literally had to twist-tie the Christmas ornaments onto the tree and many times she climbed up it many times to the top, only to knock the whole damn thing over. She now lives as a farm cat 24/7 outside, and is loving life.

My underhood sound deadening is pretty nasty. I think I’ll replace it for the stock look. And we have had some mouse problems as well- misting some peppermint oil in our engine bays of our cars every couple months has done a good job of keeping them away.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Yea I really wasn't a cat person until Thunder came along. He's easy to like, feed him scratch his head he's happy and moves on.
My cats go out. I have some that are mighty hunters and sometimes bring me a present only to crunch it up inside. They also rule the dogs and the dog beds. Ripped the insulation out so no more enticing bedding availability. I use bags with mothballs in my trashcans to detract the bears (so far so good) so I will find a way to get some mothballs under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man