Bondo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am thinking a bout repairing my dash before I drop $400 plus on a new one. If it works great, if not then I'll buy one. Watching a lot of youtube videos I see a lot of people using bondo. Some fill the cracks with it and many people end up putting a skim coat on the dash and basically treat it like body work, block sanding it etc. I have zero experience with body work and more specifically bondo. Does bondo adhere good to the dashes and does the cured bondo hold up decent in this application?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Regular body filler will not work. It is hard, dash is flexible and expands / contracts. There are dash repair kits and I tried it once. Wasn't happy with the results.

Bought a replacement supposedly high-quality dash pad for over $500; fit was beyond horrible. Have since ordered from USA1. The feedback here is good on those. They are months out filling orders, haven't received it yet.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
FWIW the dash pad (new) I bought from the The Truck Shop fit pretty well IMO. Only complaint is the fit is a little tight around the gauge bezel. It is a Counterpart vinyl wrapped dash pad.
@midwest From the repair videos I've seen, the bondo is used to skim over after filling in any of the splits with something like spray foam. I wouldn't expect good adhesion to any of the vinyl surface.
One guy on here did the spray foam/bondo and then wrapped it with a stretchy suede looking fabric, glued down. It looked awesome!
Theres a local upholsterer out here, Corbin Upholstery I believe, that rebuilds dash pads. Dunno price, as he wouldn't post that on FB, but another option.
One option I would have considered had I known about it when I purchased mine a couple years ago.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I am going to look around to see if anyone local does them. I've seen some with bondo to just fill the cracks and some with a complete bondo skim coat.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Maybe try flex seal? Not sure you can paint over that stuff, but it might work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There are several products that you can use to make a terrible dash pad look presentable for very little money. But it would be wrong to call them "Bondo". Bondo is a brand name of some very low quality plastic body fillers.

In the past, I have used 3M Polyester Glaze to fill the cracks (after prep work, of course) and then coated the dash pad in an aerosol bedliner spray. It wasn't show quality for sure, but it was cheap and when people looked into the truck or got into the truck, they didn't say "golly, what the hell happened to your dash" as they did before.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The glue on cover lay covers aren't perfect but they're probably the best you can do without buying a new dash pad. The spray foam method works, but it takes a lot more effort. These old soft dash pads do not age well and are hard to save once they get old and brittle. I saw one that got leather wrapped and looked awesome, but that would be more expensive than just buying another dash pad.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I've seen that link. That is what got me to the bondo. After reading through that thread I went to youtube and more people were using bondo or fiberglass than were using spray from.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This is for someone with a lot of time and some fiberglass skills it might be worth making a mold and making fiberglass skins with the grain and you cover an old dash pad and paint it whatever color you want

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks, I've seen that link. That is what got me to the bondo. After reading through that thread I went to youtube and more people were using bondo or fiberglass than were using spray from.
As stated earlier, it will work but a soft dash needs to be able flex, since it contracts and expands based on the outside weather. Fiberglass and plastic fillers are liable to crack in this sort of application since they don't expand like the rest of the dash, that's why the spray foam is suggested.

Dave Arends

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I just purchased a coverlay one and from the top it doesn’t look to bad. But the lower edge and around gauge bezel you will be able to see old dash. It is not full installed in picture just pushed on to check fit. I’ve seen and read that USA1 industries and Cheyenne pickup parts have the best after market dashes. Been told by many that having the original professional wrapped is the best way to go.

Attachments

• 6DB8A5B8-8E0E-4200-A7E6-AD297F594726.jpeg
    6DB8A5B8-8E0E-4200-A7E6-AD297F594726.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 40

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As stated earlier, it will work but a soft dash needs to be able flex, since it contracts and expands based on the outside weather. Fiberglass and plastic fillers are liable to crack in this sort of application since they don't expand like the rest of the dash, that's why the spray foam is suggested.
Yet polyester filler (“bondo”) is exposed to the same temperature extremes and manages to expand and contract close enough to the rate of steel expansion when used in its normal application?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yet polyester filler (“bondo”) is exposed to the same temperature extremes and manages to expand and contract close enough to the rate of steel expansion when used in its normal application?

Yes, I used it (3M Polyester Glaze) for years repairing plastic bumper covers. It has the ability to expand/contract as well as flex. To a certain point, of course. Below 0* in the winter and who knows how hot on a black car in August. When I used it on my dash pad, the filler was really only exposed to the original foam and vinyl.

Can't say I ever remember using polyester glaze to repair an actual dent on steel, just fixing minor imperfections in repairs done with a standard type plastic filler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31