Bolt pattern adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hello,

Have any of used bolt pattern adapters?
How do they hold up? Are there downsides to using them?

I want 17x8 up front. That’s not a problem.
I want 17x10 in the rear. I can’t get the rims I like in a 5x5(127).
I can get them in a 5x114.3.

Thoughts?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hello,

Thoughts?
Of course there are downsides to using them,and risks. It is one more possible point of failure, some states they aren't even legal. If you use them,buy good ones and check them periodically make sure they are still tight on the hub. The studs can pull through the adapter on the wheel side,the lugs can pull through the adapter on the hub side,they can crack and break between the studs and lugs. And they can work loose on the hub side and egg out the mounting holes. That said I've hit a curb sliding side ways,bent a wheel and a control arm but my adapter was not hurt. They still scare me a little,because it is one more failure point. I prefer to re drill the hubs,when I can.

Last edited:

Rich77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thank you for the reply!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hello,

Thoughts?
You can find a 5x114.3 with a large enough center hub opening? my park avenue uses 5x114.3 btw

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Of course there are downsides to using them,and risks. It is one more possible point of failure, some states they aren't even legal. If you use them,buy good ones and check them periodically make sure they are still tight on the hub. The studs can pull through the adapter on the wheel side,the lugs can pull through the adapter on the hub side,they can crack and break between the studs and lugs. And they can work loose on the hub side and egg out the mounting holes. That said I've hit a curb sliding side ways,bent a wheel and a control arm but my adapter was not hurt. They still scare me a little,because it is one more failure point. I prefer to re drill the hubs,when I can.
Plus - they move the tire/wheel assembly outboard a bit, which changes the load on the wheel/axle bearings and can cause unusual tire wear.

K

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Plus - they move the tire/wheel assembly outboard a bit, which changes the load on the wheel/axle bearings and can cause unusual tire wear.

K
Also change the steering axis/scrub radius. Yep I had forgotten some things. Probably more we both are forgetting. Have a great day sir.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just not a good idea. Our shop will not remove a wheel with any kind of spacer or adapter. As soon as it is touched your liable.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wheel spacers/adapters by themselves don't change the load on wheel bearings, scrub radius, etc. To determine that, you must also factor in the backspacing/offset of the wheel being used with the spacers/adapters, compared to the original wheel that was installed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, there are low quality spacers and there are high quality spacers. Some are an added failure point and some are stronger than the wheels that are bolted to them... or even the hubs they are bolted to.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@bucket brought up some valid points,if you use equivalent backspacing to compensate for the adapter thickness that geometry would be the same. And as I said before I hit a curb hard enough to bend a wheel and a control arm,but didn't hurt my adapter. They still are an additional part that can fail,whether from coming loose,a manufacturing flaw a cheap part etc. Just giving bucket props for something I never thought of,I can bring the geometry back by changing the wheel offset.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Wheel spacers/adapters by themselves don't change the load on wheel bearings, scrub radius, etc. To determine that, you must also factor in the backspacing/offset of the wheel being used with the spacers/adapters, compared to the original wheel that was installed.
Good point, but in my case I went from a 15x8 truck rally wheel (zero offset) to a 15 x 8 Corvette rally wheel (zero offset), so it was pretty much a straight add.

K

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Good point, but in my case I went from a 15x8 truck rally wheel (zero offset) to a 15 x 8 Corvette rally wheel (zero offset), so it was pretty much a straight add.

K
Keith,look at that. I thought you and I were the only smart ones on the forum, and it turns out bucket is the only smart one on the forum. LOL!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Keith,look at that. I thought you and I were the only smart ones on the forum, and it turns out bucket is the only smart one on the forum. LOL!!!

Lol, yeah I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe