Body mount nust broken loose. How to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
The front one got held from above with a big screwdriver while I used an impact wrench from below. The rear one required a bit of heat from an acetylene torch.

I'll likely cut some patches to pop rivet and seal over the holes. Quite large chunks of the floor on both sides have already been cut out and patches welded in.

On the list is finding and sealing the leak that lets water run inside, coming out under the plastic trim panel around the right kick panel vent, onto the floor and out under the door. You know you have a leak when there's icicles *inside* the cab.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
On the list is finding and sealing the leak that lets water run inside, coming out under the plastic trim panel around the right kick panel vent, onto the floor and out under the door. You know you have a leak when there's icicles *inside* the cab.

This is from a worn or non existent fresh air duct O ring seal on the back side of the duct. The shape of the cab is such that with out the O ring securely in place all the water that enters the cowling will run down and inside the cab through that duct hole.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The root cause of this issue is that the drainage opening at the bottom of the plenum is blocked. Rain water, melted snow etc will go through the cowl and enter the plenum - no way around that.

There is, by design, an opening at the bottom of the fresh air inlet plenum on each side to allow for drainage:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

When this gets plugged up, the water level can rise up to the opening behind the fresh air inlet damper and enter the cab.

More on this here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8100&highlight=plenum

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This is true. But I have mine squeaky clean and I removed the fresh air door & kick panel for maintenance. Just happened to be sitting in the truck while it was raining on perfectly level ground and low and behold this steady little stream of water came into the cab while it rained. Just so happened I have the carpet and padding out so I could POR 15 the floor so no biggy. Upon further investigation I discovered that the cab is shaped in such a way that with out the kick panel installed the water will naturally enter the cab. The kick panel is designed to redirect the water away from the opening but this depends on the effectiveness of the O ring seal.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a question. Can that plenum drain area be accessed and cleaned out via the kick panel opening?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It is big enough to fit your hand in there. I have never tried that but Im sure you could. Use a garden hose to flush every thing out once you have every thing removed by hand that you can.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That would be a good thing to check once in a while and clean. Good info. I will do this at some point soon.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It seems that LMC is the only place I can find to obtain new O ring seals for the vent door

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If I could get my hands on a manual vent I'd install it and remove the vacuum door. Wouldn't mind having one for the driver's side either. Is there a drain on the pass side too or just the pass side?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
both sides are identical except for whether or not you have a door on the drivers side.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Interesting. So that side should be checked too then. Good maintenance tip for these old trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zippo854