Big Block Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Trying to figure out a part number here. I have a 454 which came out of my '79 C30. The spark plugs I took out (which I did not save because I am a moron) were sized for a 13/16" socket. When I pick-up new plugs, they are sized for a 5/8" socket and the threads don't even reach the hole before the 'shoulder' of the plug hits the head.

I am going to hazard a guess that the heads are not original so I am planning to check the date code, etc. on the head when I get home. In the meantime I was hoping maybe someone here might have an idea as to what # plug I need. I typically run Champion copper plugs in all of my engines but I am not going to be picky here as I am not keeping this one (it is the old motor going back in the donor truck which gave up a fresh motor to my ramp truck).

The 5/8" plugs did fit in the motor I took out of the donor truck so I don't think it was a case of just the wrong plug.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Newer heads use the small plug with a tapered seat, and older heads use the big plugs with a crush washer.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Must be older heads or an older motor. Any idea when that cut-off happened? Pre-'76 as far as I can tell, 95% sure the motor from the donor truck is original.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'd pull a valve cover and get the head cast number so narrow down what they came off of. It's the only real way to be sure.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd worry more about using plugs with the proper "reach". Too long and they stick out into the combustion chamber and maybe even hit a piston. Too short and they foul easily, and the threads get clogged up with carbon deposits.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure it takes a Delco R44 or equivalent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag