Theoretical Big Block Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a bit of an idea to use up some of my "extra" parts and use it in an "extra" truck to have something that has decent-ish power, decent economy and will tow anything I hook to it.

What's y'alls thoughts on a peanut port big block with a stroker crank, an SM465, an overdrive, 3.73 gears and 33" tires? Oh yeah, and factory TBI. I've got all of it that are "extra" parts, except the short block needs a crank and the needed machine work, which wouldn't really be cheap. Think it might be worth the time and energy based on what I've got? Right now I'm leaning towards "too much effort for an inefficient slug"... but I have most of the ingredients.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on any peanut port heads.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on any peanut port heads.

Me neither. But that's my dilemma... the heads are perfectly fine and require no money, lol.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Sell them and put the money towards good heads. :D

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Peanut ports are good for over 400 horse,and make good low end torque. A mild peanut port 454 with 400hp and 500 ft lbs would be an easy build and a great street motor imho.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
236 casting heads flow about 230cfm and will support about 550-600hp with very minor port work. We’ve had several sets on a buddy’s flow bench, and used them in local class races.

I’d be more worried about the tbi flow, even with the 7.4 tbi having a higher cfm flow rating than the small block/ v6 unit (i think 630cfm vs 490cfm)

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What about forced induction?

Woah there, I'm just looking to use what I got already lol.

So after seeing a few responses and thinking about it some more, my real question is this:

Should I bother with building a stroker TBI big block for torque and reliability in a truck I currently don't use, simply because I have most of the ingredients? Or would it be more worthwhile to spend that money and energy on one of my stock-ish trucks that currently run and operate just fine? For example, my '78 454 runs fine and makes good power, but it does use a little oil and most seals leak. It has the better 781 heads and I've got a nice roller cam and valve train setup slated for it already. Stroking that engine and getting it all fresh would be awesome... but it means disabling a running truck and then I still have all my extra parts sitting around.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

So after seeing a few responses and thinking about it some more, my real question is this:

Should I bother with building a stroker TBI big block for torque and reliability in a truck I currently don't use, simply because I have most of the ingredients? Or would it be more worthwhile to spend that money and energy on one of my stock-ish trucks that currently run and operate just fine? For example, my '78 454 runs fine and makes good power, but it does use a little oil and most seals leak. It has the better 781 heads and I've got a nice roller cam and valve train setup slated for it already. Stroking that engine and getting it all fresh would be awesome... but it means disabling a running truck and then I still have all my extra parts sitting around.
My opinion,I'd get my crank turned,rings,bearings,a little cam, solvent check the peanut ports , check the guides,change the seals.you would have a true budget 454 to make the one truck run and still have enough balls to pull trailers. Now you can take the good truck out of service while you do what you want to it. When is all is said and done you'll have a back up truck,or truck to sell and the other truck done how you want it.

Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

I like this answer.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
For example, my '78 454 runs fine and makes good power, but it does use a little oil and most seals leak. It has the better 781 heads and I've got a nice roller cam and valve train setup slated for it already.
On that era of 454, we always added closed chamber heads to get better performance. The flat top pistons that era combined with the open chamber 117-119cc heads (781/290/236 aka peanut port) produces a true compression ratio of about 7.7-7.9:1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod