Big block chevy build, 489 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I thought factory talldeck motors used the extra space for a taller piston with an extra ring. I was under the impression the connecting rods were the same length as a short deck motor
They are. They were also beefed up in the cylinder walls and deck areas.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
I thought factory talldeck motors used the extra space for a taller piston with an extra ring. I was under the impression the connecting rods were the same length as a short deck motor
You are right connecting rod length is the same, piston size is different than a standard deck; stock tall deck pistons came with four piston rings not three.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
While all of that is true for the OEM Tall Deck engines, aren't there aftermarket companies that take advantage of the .400 height and make bigger stroker kits??? :shrug: I was more of a small block back in my race days other than a 427 and a 454 that I used for awhile, but I always went back to small block. Higher rpm's, cheaper parts, more options and more experience.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
While all of that is true for the OEM Tall Deck engines, aren't there aftermarket companies that take advantage of the .400 height and make bigger stroker kits??? :shrug: I was more of a small block back in my race days other than a 427 and a 454 that I used for awhile, but I always went back to small block. Higher rpm's, cheaper parts, more options and more experience.
Yes and you save tires as well...:driver:
And the BB goes :burnout:

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
They are. They were also beefed up in the cylinder walls and deck areas.
Im not doubting you, but i dont agree with you 100%. If they are, i don't know why.. a stock tall deck was a low compression work horse of an engine. Pushing probably 290 hp with 400 + ft torque, with stock peanut heads and heavier pistons that aren't worth crap. The only benefit of tall deck is the deck height which gives you more stroke, longer connecting rods, and different stroker combinations. Either than that there isn't a whole lot difference between a mark IV 427 tall deck "truck block" to 427 standard deck engine block. The only way I could possible see that being true is if you bought and after market tall deck block from dart or world products.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Im not doubting you, but i dont agree with you 100%. If they are, i don't know why.. a stock tall deck was a low compression work horse of an engine. Pushing probably 290 hp with 400 + ft torque, with stock peanut heads and heavier pistons that aren't worth crap. The only benefit of tall deck is the deck height which gives you more stroke, longer connecting rods, and different stroker combinations. Either than that there isn't a whole lot difference between a mark IV 427 tall deck "truck block" to 427 standard deck engine block. The only way I could possible see that being true is if you bought and after market tall deck block from dart or world products.

Longevity and structural integrity.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck

This when I first got the block and broke it down and cleaned before sending it out to the shop. If you look closely you can see truck on the front of the engine block just beneath were the camshaft goes, also see the stock pistons.
You must be registered for see images attach

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Boy, hearing all this I'm sorry I got rid of mt 427 CID L88 12.5:1 open chamber motor many years ago.

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
This when I first got the block and broke it down and cleaned before sending it out to the shop. If you look closely you can see truck on the front of the engine block just beneath were the camshaft goes, also see the stock pistons.

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I recently acquired a tall deck 427 and have had the itch to build a stroker with it. I know its a HD std bord block as it came out of a 1985 wrecker w/300k+ miles but mags ok. It would bore out at .030 easily hardly no ridge. I'd use .020 pistons if I could find them. I was thinking with the four ring piston would not make a hot high revving street motor for a car but I've heard boat racers prefer the tall deck in a race boat. What are you intalling it in?
thanks,
chuck in AZ

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
I recently acquired a tall deck 427 and have had the itch to build a stroker with it. I know its a HD std bord block as it came out of a 1985 wrecker w/300k+ miles but mags ok. It would bore out at .030 easily hardly no ridge. I'd use .020 pistons if I could find them. I was thinking with the four ring piston would not make a hot high revving street motor for a car but I've heard boat racers prefer the tall deck in a race boat. What are you intalling it in?
thanks,
chuck in AZ
Sorry for not answering you earlier been busy on renovations on the house. My tall deck 489 stroker is going in a 84 Chevy k10 pick up. Been quite the learning process, but people desire these engine blocks because of the stroker combinations and the amount of cubes you can gain. Also can get them to sing pretty well rpm wise depending on your build. You can easily acquire a stroker kit for your block. My block was bored .030 over with 4.25 stroke. I have head people are able to bore up to .125 and put 4.5 stroke. If you have questions about your build let me know and I will help out if I can. Take care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave