Big block cast exhaust manifolds or headers for turbo applications, side exit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
Some time ago, when I began my search for headers for my K5 BBC swap, I had found a company that made cast exhaust manifolds with a T4 flange that exited straight out the side, roughly between the middle two cylinders. Basically it would be pointed straight to the fenders, over the frame rail.

Of course, now I can't find anything like that. Has anyone else seen anything similar out there? I would need something that has the outlet straight out the side, placement front/rear isn't as critical, though ideally it would be somewhere between the middle of the manifold to the front of the block. Has to exit towards the side, as my accessory drive would likely be in the way of typical turbo manifolds/headers that exit straight out the end and forward, and I don't think I'd have enough room in there to make the 90* turn.

Also doesn't specifically have to be a T4 flange...really any kind of outlet would work, as I'm not planning on hanging turbos off them anyways.

EDIT: This is the basic concept of what I'm thinking, though obviously this isn't for a BBC, lol. I'm thinking I'll have to fabricate it, but I'm not set up for bending thin wall tubing, and was hoping to avoid the pieced together look of welding multiple curve pieces together.

You must be registered for see images attach

K5_489

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
489 BBC
Nothing like that...exits out the side and over the frame rails, not down. Or in other words, exhaust going straight out of the head, and not making the 90* turn downwards.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
There are several companies that make all the pre-bent pieces you need to make custom headers and turbo set-ups. You might need to go to them and perhaps build your ideal system. Having a buddy who can do a nice tig weld would be helpful.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Nothing like that...exits out the side and over the frame rails, not down. Or in other words, exhaust going straight out of the head, and not making the 90* turn downwards.

Maybe I should have clarified. Slot the bolt holes, mount them on upside down, short 90 degree and exit right out above the front suspension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54