BFGoodrich or Cooper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Also, back yourself up,

the op appears to be in the market for AT3/All terrain T/A tires, but nothing wrongwith the conversation going on either.
Negative. The size the OP is after is a performance/car tire IE: Radial T/As or Cooper Cobras (or similar I suppose). All Terrain tires, don't even come in that size (275-60-15) at least in the brands that the OP asked about.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
mud tires are very bad at ice snow, you want narrow and you dont want evacuation on tread. im sure they perform its just common things the man doesnt want you to know, like snow tires are usually cheap and the righ
Yes your correct but my point is that the All-Terrain tread pattern on say the 35" tall tire is large enough it works in the mud, even thought it is "all terrain".
I also understand the narrow vs wide... an average driver is better with narrow... an advanced driver that can handle some drifting and fish tailing will be fine with wide snow or mud tires. I prefer the float of wide rubber and enjoy controlled drifting.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
thats different, Im saying the tire design of a mud tire is not good for asnow, a AT tire will even do better. a snow tire will win, of course, but almost naything probably helps "traction" aid over a basic HT/all sneason

but mud tires are wide and meant to interact with water differently than snow
It depend on the snow... or the region. For example I live in mild temps, and mud tires are fine in 'snowball' snow. Go to Alberta where is -30 and everything is slippery.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For 275/60/15, pretty much everything that is available is a good tire. Cost no object, I like the BFG Radial T/A. The sidewall, lettering and tread pattern is timeless. Budget oriented, I like that Mastercraft Avenger G/T. They perform as well as the BFG, have a "not too modern" tread pattern and last a long time. The lettering is slightly larger and modern looking than the BFG though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
BTW, I run both of those brands.

You must be registered for see images attach

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I bought a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's for my '89 pickup a few years ago, and I'm not impressed. The traction on wet pavement is mediocre, the sidewalls are already looking rough (cracking/dry rot and slight bulging in some spots) and I already had to have one replaced because the tread started to separate....

And I certainly haven't abused them. I avoid curbs/potholes, don't offroad it, don't do burnouts. They look decent though.....

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You're to damn young to have a opinion @78C10BigTen Ted.....lol...I just go back to the 70s and remember the old bfg tires that had the belts that went to hell in very few miles......I lost 2 in 2 days and the 3rd one 6 days after that.....Maybe they are better now, I'll let you find out. Just know my Coopers are a good tire and WAY less money than the bfgs........AND always been a Pepsi fan NEVER coke!!!
My exact choices also! I've literally owned thousands of dollars of Cooper tires on multiple vehicles over the past 30 years, and I've turned one in for a road hazard warranty. Most of their line is US made also. I've always thought BFG's were over-priced & over rated. Jmho...Ford/Chevy, Pioneer/Alpine, etc... to each his own

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
BTW, I run both of those brands.

I still want that stepper!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've run both brands and never had any issues but, for mileage and handling I've stuck with BFG.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
BFG's ftw
my '90 stepper has been on BF's since '92, first AT's, then the orig M/T's, now the KM2's. 1 flat in 27 yrs.
ice, snow, mud, BF's can handle it..

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
1) power has all terrain TA,

2) OP showed interest in what power had for tires on his truck,

Then I already searched the tire size on tire rack, grit, and showed the AVAILABLE ONLY AS COBRAS AND RADIAL T/a’s, the. Asked if he would be more willing to move to a standard width to fit on his 15 ralleys since 235-245 prpbably has sizes available in at t/a

4) Op has not shared any more thoughts since the clarifying question and that’s fine, just your observation and little tirade isn’t helping anyone since it’s not even founded I’m reality or in good faith

5) since you and I and everyone else has contributed shared experience, photos, you may notice a good chunk of them are AT tires, like at3 from cooper, at t/a from bf. Then I also see a couple other model tires here and there.

6) it is not unreasonable that I would both ask the op to clarify what type of tire he wants because both are offered owl, amd then when he is interested In someone’s all terrain T/a, to think he meant he wants a ducking at tire.
@Grit dog

You are only wasting your time, space on the OPs threads, and maybe some enjoyment to a tea drinker or two (god bless if they do I guess)

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Trying to decide on what Brand tire to go with? BFG or Cooper? Pros or cons? On a set of GMC Rallys 15"x8" 275/60/15.
2 or 4wd? Lifted or no? Are you going for street tires or something A/T or M/T? For a 2wd truck and a "muscle" type of look, I love me some old school Cooper Cobras. But otherwise I would go BFG all the way. IME Coopers are great tires but they're overpriced for what they are, if you're already gonna pay the premium I think BFGs are a little bit better tires. I don't really like any of the A/T or M/T tires Cooper offers, they don't quite perform as well (not night and day difference, but noticeable IME and from what I read) and I don't think they look nearly as good.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
mud tires are very bad at ice snow, you want narrow and you dont want evacuation on tread. im sure they perform its just common things the man doesnt want you to know, like snow tires are usually cheap and the righ
For on road driving in normal amounts of snow, you are correct. But in deep snow even snow tires will not help you much, whereas with my BFG M/T (both the old school type and KM2s) I used to be able to drive through snow so deep that the undercarrige was dragging through the snow leaving tracks of its own

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I just bought a set of Nitto ridge grapplers for a truck. I was liking the coopers as an American made tire. They were acquired in 2020 by another company. According to someone who sells them, the QA on anything but the hybrid and mud tires is spotty. A lot of reports of some being hard to balance.

The good news is a decent tire shop will swap them out, the bad news is you may have some time wasted at the shop.

I had a set of 33” Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. They seemed to wear decently, but one took a couple tries to balance at America’s Tire. I can’t vouch for the long term reliability though. When I put them on, the truck had 4,000 miles on it and I sold it with 25,000 miles. Looking back, I put 5 coopers on it…and a full eibach suspension under then sold it, lol. Oh well, still made money.

Uh oh, looks like they mounted your tires backwards! I bet if you get down there soon enough you could get them to flip them around for you and get them whites out like they should be ; )