BFGoodrich or Cooper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You're to damn young to have a opinion @78C10BigTen Ted.....lol...I just go back to the 70s and remember the old bfg tires that had the belts that went to hell in very few miles......I lost 2 in 2 days and the 3rd one 6 days after that.....Maybe they are better now, I'll let you find out. Just know my Coopers are a good tire and WAY less money than the bfgs........AND always been a Pepsi fan NEVER coke!!!
Can't compare today to what was sold in the 70's, but understand your sentiment. Anyone remember the Firestone 721's?

Tire technology has changed completely. Have a couple vehicles with BFG's and 1 with Coopers. Purchased the Coopers because at the time they were much less. Really can't detect any difference.

I used to work in a shop that sold tires. The failure rate was exceedingly low, even in the "bargain" brands. In 10 years only remember a couple sets that had issues.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
from my personal expérience T/A was best ;)

Attachments

• _DSC4133.jpg
    _DSC4133.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 51

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
For good AT tires, another good option is the Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Very similar to the BFgoodrich AT tires. I have BFG's in 315/75R16 on mine now and they have been incredibly durable and plenty grippy on mud/snow/ice(until I completely ran out of tread). My neighbor has the Falken Wildpeaks and really likes them on his Ram 3500. I'll probably go with the Falkens when I get new tires later this year.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Got a set of Falkens on my 75 K20, very good tire!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You're to damn young to have a opinion @78C10BigTen Ted.....lol...I just go back to the 70s and remember the old bfg tires that had the belts that went to hell in very few miles......I lost 2 in 2 days and the 3rd one 6 days after that.....Maybe they are better now, I'll let you find out. Just know my Coopers are a good tire and WAY less money than the bfgs........AND always been a Pepsi fan NEVER coke!!!
I dont really drink soda but of the 2 i like coke better. Main things i drink most on a daily basis, milk, java monster 300 energy drink and alcohol lol

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I gave up milk when I was around 9 or 10. My folks were fooling my brother and I with goats milk, never did like the taste...and they pissed me off. Have a little half & half with my coffee in the morning, but that's about it. Good ol' water, Miller and Crown.....I'm good!!!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I gave up milk when I was around 9 or 10. My folks were fooling my brother and I with goats milk, never did like the taste...and they pissed me off. Have a little half & half with my coffee in the morning, but that's about it. Good ol' water, Miller and Crown.....I'm good!!!
I dont drink water often. My crappy hurricane beer and jim beam devils cut lol my aunt had a farm and always had goat milk n crap that i never drank.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think the OP ever said whether he wanted All Terrains or Street Tires. Guessing at the size I am assuming he just wants a street tread.

Personally I don't see a "wrong" choice here between either brand.

A few random Redfish thoughts and pics:

For an All Terrain or a "Mud Tire" the BFG is pretty nice. I am personally about to order a set of Cooper mud tires for my '87 but the BFG is a solid choice. Pics...

You must be registered for see images attach

One advantage the BFG street tires have is that the tread design is sort of neutral timeless. They don't look modern and they look like they could have been run during the era of the older vehicles. Pics...

And one I took of a '77 Corvette with a set of Coopers:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I just bought a set of Nitto ridge grapplers for a truck. I was liking the coopers as an American made tire. They were acquired in 2020 by another company. According to someone who sells them, the QA on anything but the hybrid and mud tires is spotty. A lot of reports of some being hard to balance.

The good news is a decent tire shop will swap them out, the bad news is you may have some time wasted at the shop.

I had a set of 33” Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. They seemed to wear decently, but one took a couple tries to balance at America’s Tire. I can’t vouch for the long term reliability though. When I put them on, the truck had 4,000 miles on it and I sold it with 25,000 miles. Looking back, I put 5 coopers on it…and a full eibach suspension under then sold it, lol. Oh well, still made money.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not true! I have mud terrains on my s10 and it has no problem goin in snow
Nope, sorry bud….not possible. AG said so! Lol.
BTW, you really wan those tires to be good on icy/wet snow? Sipe them!

To be fair full block tread mudders aren’t the best in snow. But the initial response was to BFG ATs taken out of context. And a typical threadjack. BFG ATs are pretty bomber snow tires when they’re newer.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Falken and Whiskey here.
The ATW3 have been a great tire.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

To be fair full block tread mudders aren’t the best in snow. But the initial response was to BFG ATs taken out of context. And a typical threadjack. BFG ATs are pretty bomber snow tires when they’re newer.
You dont want my opinion on the bfg AT.....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Not true! I have mud terrains on my s10 and it has no problem goin in snow
thats different, Im saying the tire design of a mud tire is not good for asnow, a AT tire will even do better. a snow tire will win, of course, but almost naything probably helps "traction" aid over a basic HT/all sneason

but mud tires are wide and meant to interact with water differently than snow

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Also, back yourself up, I literally am the one who brought up the question if the OP was looking for whitewalls everyday cruise tire, because frankly thats common for rally wheels and nice looking squares, or if he was looking for whitewall "AT" tires, which both cooper and bf good rich also sell.

Which are also common in a rally.
on nice squares.

There was nothign wrong with his question, but the fact we have Radial T/As and All terrtain/mud terrain T/As being posted about , cooper cobras and AT3's, and now falken wildpeaks(I dont think they do whitewalls sadly, but could try yourself.... not sure how well it would go)

the op appears to be in the market for AT3/All terrain T/A tires, but nothing wrongwith the conversation going on either.

the only thing I will say Is I just checked and OP is from arizona, he likely wouldnt bother worrying about snow traction so mud terrains could be up his alley!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood