Best Squarebody shop near Jacksonville FL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNC87SQUARE

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
I need recommendations for a Square body shop near me. I live in Woodbine GA 31569. I want an expert. I'm willing to travel a few hours to find the right person. Nobody local knows more about them than they do about any other car. I got my 87 V10 a couple months ago and have been running into problem after problem. Every time I fix something, I find something else wrong. (Just a heads up, NEVER buy anything from Hot Rod Dirty/Traditional Hot Rod Motors out of Morehead KY)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don’t know what the “issues” are, nor the condition, situation etc, or your expectations.
But in general, if you buy an old (anything), it will not operate like new.
And in general, the reason people buy and drive newer vehicles is because of this (and shiny new objects).
Based on your post, you just need a good local mechanic. There are not “squarebody shops” and a great deal of your truck is the same or similar as a lot of 80s vehicles.
Example, I bought what I consider to be about the best condition (functionally, mechanically, electrical) old truck I could find. When I bought it, everything worked and worked well. Still, I’ve done multiple “minor” repairs, that I consider insignificant but would have tallied up some serious money at a shop.
Maybe the folks here can help you sort through the issues you’re having. And if you’re not willing to fix them on your own, at least you’ll be more knowledgeable when you take it to the shop.
Good luck! Lots of knowledgeable helpful folks here at your disposal. Use em.

BNC87SQUARE

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Grit Dog, you're 100% correct. When you buy from a dealer that presents itself as a custom/hot rod shop, and they tell you that the truck is the nicest they've had, that they have been driving it for a year, that everything works, etc. you expect that to be the truth. However, that doesn't matter. Here's the latest 2 new problems: 1. I lost my cigarette lighter and dome light. I plugged in my GPS and there was a pop and flash of light back behind where the radio would be. I can't find a wire that looks bad and all my fuses are still good. 2. Water is getting into the cab on the driver side. It fills up my Husky floor liner and got all in the carpet and insulation. Passenger side is dry. That just starts the long list.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like you have the classic failing cowl seam. Although you have the second gen body style with the different cowl I think it may suffer the same thing where the firewall and cowl come together, the seam sealer Fails and then start to rust out and leak into the floorboards. This is what gets most of them and rots the floors out in non salt country. In salt country it gets them too but the rest rusts out as well.
The cigarette lighter issue is probably just a loose fit and it shorted out when it was moved around. These older trucks also aren't used to a larger load being out on cigarette lighters.

As to a "square body mechanic" as was said nothing is really unique to these trucks. Anyone familiar with older stuff especially Chevy will be able to work on them and pretty much any old school Mechanic will know just about anything to do with these older simple trucks. Being an 87 you have the first gen fuel injection so a tad more complex but what you have mentioned is not really any different than any of the other trucks back to the beginning.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@BNC87SQUARE
Not sure, again, what you received for a vehicle, how much you paid, but unless it was a nut and bolt resto, all new wiring/harnesses, etc things will happen. And even if it was, things will happen.
Cowl leak? There’s threads on that here. Look it up. But short story, pull the valance off above the firewall and inspect the seam between the firewall and cowl. 90% chance that’s the leak. 10% chance it’s the windshield seal. If it’s not rusted out, it’s an easy fix. And make sure it drains on that side. Drain could be plugged.
Dome/lighter issue. Also many posts and wiring diagrams on here. Common problem as well.
Not saying there are issues that you shouldn’t have expected, you may have not gotten the best quality restoration. But if you aren’t tackling these little repairs, I understand your request to find a good shop.
In general, it will be a tough find to get a shop that isn’t “restoring” your truck and charging accordingly yet find one that will actually even work on it and knows what they’re doing.
Good luck. But we can help diagnose better than most any shop. There’s plenty of folks on here who know these trucks inside and out. And honestly your best bet for getting proper and the most economical advice and diagnosis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmf225