Mounting tires at home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've been struggling with a harbor freight manual tire changer for years, it is not anything like what I thought it would be, bought it way before you could walk in a harbor freight store, wouldn't have bought it if I could have seen it in person and wasn't paying the freight to send it back.Ive used a good manual changer and the harbor freight one, is not a good one. I've seen all the vids on YouTube about modifying them etc. Did the duckbill thing, blah blah blah.
Then I saw the r and r bead breaker video and saw how easy that guy did them.No distributors in the USA that I could find,so I bought the speedway tire mounting kit, all would be good except the feet that push on the tire are too thin and welded on,well the feet bend, so that sucks, found the All-Star bead breaker that has a different foot design,so that solves that problem.
I am undecided whether to drill a hole in my work bench for a threaded rod and piece of plate, spare tire hanger style, to hold the wheels down or build a tyre pliers style post to hold them probably going the tyre pliers route on a reciever hitch that way I can take it with me.

Anyways watch the videos, Google search the part numbers and videos I've listed I think it will be cheaper and you will be happier than buying a harbor freight unit and modifying it.

Manual tyre changer 4:52 video YouTube. Aug 5th tyrepliers

R and R bead breaker demo Adelaide caravan 2:57 video 2018 Apr 7th 2018

Speedway Motors. Tire removal kit 9162007

All-Star performance. 44028

I have tried to add pics from my phone but can't, so I've given enough info that you all can look this stuff up.

I'll bet Rusty knows how to link all those pics and video's.

Got all the links to work they are down a few posts

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One day I'd like to have my own pneumatic tire changer. And a spin balancer too. But until then, I just make do with a high lift jack to break beads and tire bars to do the removal/install.

I'll wait for Rusty to view what you are talking about :)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I do the same thing, if in a pinch, take sawzall to old tire, cut the bead, remove, soapy water and prybar, slip on replacement, then the starting fluid and lighter.

Kaboom, mounted.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
How do you cut the bead without cutting the rim?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
When I sold my shop, I kept my Snapon overpriced balancer, sold my tire machine and bought a better one. Tilt back but no other fancy features. Also kept my 2 post hoist and my Hunter alignment machine, old but works well. Also bought a BendPak scissor lift to help with the alignment. The one thing I miss the most is my pit that I had for the front end work, shoulda put one in my new shop! I'm to the point where I couldn't bust tires down manually and the tire shops seem way to expensive now!!

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
We have a tire changer an a balancer so we could do tires at the shop. I hate the damn things, I don't know how people do that all day everyday....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My dad had one of these to pop beads and then tire bars n hammer to remount. (How i learned). Now ive got an old school coates machine at work i can use.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...Y9aJ9dQEhqtl1Cv3fkEEH6PkdqUkhIsRoCOL8QAvD_BwE
That's the tool I was referring too.I bent the foot part it's too thin. The other one looks very similiar but has a thicker base.Ive done them everyday except cutting them, jacks, manual breakers,slide hammers, putting a ramp on one side and driving up it, other than the good machines I've used, nothing tops this for ease and cash outlay

Last edited:

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I guess I have low standards. I've had the harbor freight tool for probably 10 years and used it more times than I can remember. Yes, the bead breaker sucks, but I like not having to work on the ground. It was well worth the $40 I spent on it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I guess I have low standards. I've had the harbor freight tool for probably 10 years and used it more times than I can remember. Yes, the bead breaker sucks, but I like not having to work on the ground. It was well worth the $40 I spent on it.

I bought mine in 00 or 01 and have used the heck out of it I'm sure I've done 100's of tires with it. I've never once been able to pull a tire on with the mounting tool, like the tyre pliers video or the good manual machines I used in the 80s and 90s .In the r and r video I referenced, he's not working on the ground he's working on a table.Yes the H.F. bead breaker sucks!!! That's what put me on the mission to find better stuff, I fought a trailer tire for at least 20 min trying to break a bead still had 3 more to go and 4 for my truck.Look at those videos I referenced, I think welding a piece of square stock over the H.F. Mounting bar would make it work right, but the r and r guy makes a table and spoons look like the best buy for someone who doesn't have anything yet.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh yea. Dmack in case you hadn't thought of it when you are using the H.F. machine when you go to do the second bead, push it down then clamp vice grips on the rim the bead will rest on the vice grips handle and make mounting way easier.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well got all the links up check them out, even found one.I didn't know about which is the tyre pliers bead breaker,similiar to the all star breaker. I think 5 bucks worth of scrap metal an old brake rotor and 5 minutes with the welder and I can copy the tyre pliers mount.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This bead breaker has a weakness in that the foot that pushes on the tire is too thin and welded to the body, I bent mine, but speedway took care of it
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-
Motors-Tire-Install-Removal-Kit,340158.html

This one has a better design where the tool meets the tire
https://allstarperformance.com/bead-breaker-w-adjustable-arm-all44028/

If the wheel were held to a bench with a piece of all thread and a spare tire hanger, or as I plan on doing it a tyre pliers style mount but with a removable center post, the need to stand on the wheel would be eliminated.

Last edited:

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh yea. Dmack in case you hadn't thought of it when you are using the H.F. machine when you go to do the second bead, push it down then clamp vice grips on the rim the bead will rest on the vice grips handle and make mounting way easier.

Yeah, I have used vice grips since chasing the bead the first time I used it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah, I have used vice grips since chasing the bead the first time I used it.
You watch that tyre pliers mounting vid yet? See what I'm thinking about about using square stock to make the H.F. bar work for pulling on beads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84