Radiator replacement / repair ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well I got a pretty good lead on an all aluminum. Champion, 4 row $289, 3 row $229. I'd kind of like the 4 row, but probably don't need it with a 305, and they are listing a 3 row in the scratch and dent for $189, call for additional info. So I'll make the call on Monday and find out if the scratch and dent will the full 12 month warranty, and what the damage is. I'm totally fine if it's cosmetic.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Only thing I find is all aluminum for 88 to 97 i think chevy truck on amazon.I didnt realize the chinamen were basically making only plastic tanks these days.Its a sad day imo.Ive found aluminum/plastic or copper/plastic or all aluminum We are screwed

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Well I got a pretty good lead on an all aluminum. Champion, 4 row $289, 3 row $229. I'd kind of like the 4 row, but probably don't need it with a 305, and they are listing a 3 row in the scratch and dent for $189, call for additional info. So I'll make the call on Monday and find out if the scratch and dent will the full 12 month warranty, and what the damage is. I'm totally fine if it's cosmetic.
the 3 row tubes are actually bigger than the 4 row tubes, a pretty minor upgrade overall that i don't think is worth the extra $.
i have a champion 3 core in my crew since 2010 with zero probs. even in 100 degree heat going up 10% hills in the mountains wit my camper on board and quad trailer in tow, my 454 has never heated up.
last summer we had a "heat dome" with temps hitting 113 to 115 F, all loaded (just shy of 8 tons) the temp on the 454 did spike to 210 once briefly.
it was also a complete drop in with no probs, stock shroud and clutch fan.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
When I replaced the stock 3 row in my '75 K25, I don't recall having to change anything with the mounting or any of the little rubber saddle supports under and over the radiator. The radiator came with a cap and I didn't have to buy anything else. I used the stock shroud and fan.

IIRC this is the radiator I purchased for my truck https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling-Systems/166/CC161/10002/-1?year=1975&make=GMC&model=JIMMY&submodel=HIGH+SIERRA&engine=V8+(+5.7L+/+350+) .
This radiator replaces a 17"x28 1/4" core radiator, which is the right size for my truck. However, yours may be a slightly different size (e.g., 19" tall or even 26 1/2" wide).
I looked up the radiator size on rockauto.com, which usually lists all the options for each year, and then matched it up to my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just as a blanket statement I have no problem going all aluminum, however I've seen an awful lot of crappy ones to the point I really don't know what brands are good and bad. I just installed one in a 78 blazer at the shop the other day. The customer supplied the radiator, we had to modify the mounts a little bit and it sprung a leak on one of the welds while warming up. Now I've also installed some that went really well, so I know there are good ones made, I'm just a little Leary because I don't know the good brands that are reasonably priced.

@75gmck25 Thanks for the brand and time reference, I saw champion radiators as I was looking around last night. I'll put them on the serious to consider list.

@Octane Where did you get it from? And how many years ago? Factory brass radiators have not been available over the counter at parts stores for many years now. But there are reproduction units around for about $300 - $500 on the web. No idea on quality though.

@Camar068 Thanks for the info. Griffen is probably going to be out due to price. If I end up spending $300+ on a radiator I'll be looking at reproduction brass.

@Grit dog That's exactly why I don't drink out anymore at all. What do think the mark up is on that drink?
Online you can buy new brass units. I know for me, we have one shop locally in 30min drive otherwise its 1hr + drive to get a couple more. The last rad I brought to them they said needed enough work it would be easier to just get another rad new than to repair that one and one of the end tanks had a crack such that it may have fell and landed on the tank. But they said they would do the work for 150-200 but I decided not to for that.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I couldn't afford to live in the NW anymore let alone drink there!
I guess if you find a good quality aluminum radiator, at least it should last for a couple or three decades.
Keep hunting around for a mom and pop radiator shop and have the old one repaired if you're not in a hurry.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Octane I you scored a new brass radiator in the last 10 years or so though traditional sources you scored big, they haven't been around other than specialty reproduction units in sometime now.

@Rumbledawg I don't see where Champion lists core size, but I did know alum rads have larger tubes. Thanks for info on your set up and experiences.

@75gmck25 Thanks that's the one I was looking at on their website and it does match the dimensions on my radiator.

@AuroraGirl ya, you can get reproduction brass units but your gonna open you wallet to the tune of about $500 as I have looked. If you have seen a brass rad for a square for a reasonable price let me know, I'd be all over that.

@Memaloose Your telling me, but it's not the entire NW, yes pretty much all of the NW is going to be more expensive that where you are at, but the Puget sound area is the worst with areas closest to Microsoft being the absolute worst. If you get out to the coast it gets better, if you get into eastern Wa it gets better. Another example of the expense in this area. I don't need my tranny done right now but it's an age old 700R4 so I wanted to have a plan in place for when it needs to be done. There are few tranny shops left here and all of the decent ones want north of $2,500 to build a heavy duty unit. Thanks to another forum member I now know about a reputable tranny shop about 2 hours away over the mountains in eastern wa. Quote there was $1,600 and the guy clearly knows about 700R4's and there issues. Before pulling the trigger on a Champion I might just look over in that area for a rad shop, but my time is valuable to. It's one thing to make two trips over there for a tranny that'll save me $1,000 another to get a rad serviced.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Row Quantity:
Radiator Finish:
Black
Core Width (in.):
26.375 in.
Core Height (in.):
17.000 in.
Core Thickness (in.):
2.000 in.
Trans Cooler Adapter Fittings Included:
No
Radiator Inlet Size:
1.563 in.
Radiator Outlet Size:
1.563 in.
Tube Size:
1/2 in.
Notes:
Radiator has stepped outlet fitting with 1 9/16 in. down to 1 5/16 in. diameters for different hose options.

This was the cheapest work-able rad I could find, but its a little on the narrow size(end to end, height is short-manual trans-no-ac kind), but being new it would prob work decent... but no trans cooler or oil cooler provision either. thick at 2 inches, 3 core so not bad bad.. lol

Jacob Miller

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’ve had decent luck with the summit brand all aluminum radiators, I don’t have one in my square yet but I put one in my jeep and it’s been solid, and it’s done great driving around in 120° heat.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Row Quantity:
Radiator Finish:
Black
Core Width (in.):
26.375 in.
Core Height (in.):
17.000 in.
Core Thickness (in.):
2.000 in.
Trans Cooler Adapter Fittings Included:
No
Radiator Inlet Size:
1.563 in.
Radiator Outlet Size:
1.563 in.
Tube Size:
1/2 in.
Notes:
Radiator has stepped outlet fitting with 1 9/16 in. down to 1 5/16 in. diameters for different hose options.

This was the cheapest work-able rad I could find, but its a little on the narrow size(end to end, height is short-manual trans-no-ac kind), but being new it would prob work decent... but no trans cooler or oil cooler provision either. thick at 2 inches, 3 core so not bad bad.. lol
You are right, but this radiator is the correct dimensions for my truck and has tranny cooler in the radiator note it's a little more costly $452.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’ve had decent luck with the summit brand all aluminum radiators, I don’t have one in my square yet but I put one in my jeep and it’s been solid, and it’s done great driving around in 120° heat.
Good to know I had seen those but didn't know if they were any good or not.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You are right, but this radiator is the correct dimensions for my truck and has tranny cooler in the radiator note it's a little more costly $452.

Hard to stomach.. maybe get an el cheapo, combine the experience with a chemical flush on refill. Then safe up, get the brass rad, silicone upper and lower hoses, and throw some silicone heater core hoses too.. lol.. but now we are talking BIG Money lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hard to stomach.. maybe get an el cheapo, combine the experience with a chemical flush on refill. Then safe up, get the brass rad, silicone upper and lower hoses, and throw some silicone heater core hoses too.. lol.. but now we are talking BIG Money lol.
IDK, last spring I think I put new rad & heater hoses on (just normal rubber), thermostat and about 5 fan clutches. 4 POS aftermarket ones, and the last one was an expensive A/C delco unit that actually works as it should.

I knew then that I was going to have to do something with radiator one of these days, I had just hoped it would go a little longer.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well dang near 2 months after I started this thread I'm still running the seeping radiator, though it's now up to seeping about 1/2 a gallon every other week. I don't like running around with a cooling system that is not right and I'd be even less happy if I had to do one of my 200 mile round trip feed runs, I like to know my rig is as close to 100% as possible before going heading out.

So today was the day. I was prepared to place my order for a Champion 3 row but needed to call one of the local wholesale parts suppliers for an unrelated issue at the shop and said asked him about that radiator I'd asked him about in December. We'll now he can get it overnight for less than half the Champion radiator. So this will be one of those plastic tanked aluminum radiators some of you guys don't like. BTW, all modern vehicles come with plastic tanked aluminum radiators. There was a time when I too did not like the plastic tanked aftermarket units, but they have really improved in the last IDK 10 or 15 years IMO, and I'm willing to trust it especially for the cost savings. And just like everything else not all brands are the same quality.

This is going to be a spectra unit. You maybe aware that at one time a lot of their radiators where Chinese made, and I don't know if they still build some of them there, but at the shop more and more I'm seeing the country of origin is Canada, and he confirmed this is a Canadian made unit. Of course I'll confirm that when it gets here. I'll run it either way, but I like to know where my parts come from and I would feel better about a Canadian made part vs Chinese.

It'll be CU730, the core thickness is 2 1/2" and is equivalent to a 4 row, but I don't know if it'll physically have 3 large rows or 2 very large rows. Again I won't know until I open the box, and if for some reason I don't like what I see it'll go back and the Champion will only be delayed by one day. So we shall see, hopefully I'll like more than just the price.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well dang near 2 months after I started this thread I'm still running the seeping radiator, though it's now up to seeping about 1/2 a gallon every other week. I don't like running around with a cooling system that is not right and I'd be even less happy if I had to do one of my 200 mile round trip feed runs, I like to know my rig is as close to 100% as possible before going heading out.

So today was the day. I was prepared to place my order for a Champion 3 row but needed to call one of the local wholesale parts suppliers for an unrelated issue at the shop and said asked him about that radiator I'd asked him about in December. We'll now he can get it overnight for less than half the Champion radiator. So this will be one of those plastic tanked aluminum radiators some of you guys don't like. BTW, all modern vehicles come with plastic tanked aluminum radiators. There was a time when I too did not like the plastic tanked aftermarket units, but they have really improved in the last IDK 10 or 15 years IMO, and I'm willing to trust it especially for the cost savings. And just like everything else not all brands are the same quality.

This is going to be a spectra unit. You maybe aware that at one time a lot of their radiators where Chinese made, and I don't know if they still build some of them there, but at the shop more and more I'm seeing the country of origin is Canada, and he confirmed this is a Canadian made unit. Of course I'll confirm that when it gets here. I'll run it either way, but I like to know where my parts come from and I would feel better about a Canadian made part vs Chinese.

It'll be CU730, the core thickness is 2 1/2" and is equivalent to a 4 row, but I don't know if it'll physically have 3 large rows or 2 very large rows. Again I won't know until I open the box, and if for some reason I don't like what I see it'll go back and the Champion will only be delayed by one day. So we shall see, hopefully I'll like more than just the price.
That plastic tanked thing will likely last a long time.Be careful or you'll end up with a Canadian/American/Chinese made truck.Chevrolet is already a French name...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128