Best rear locker/ best price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianhannon

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383/ TH350/10 Bolt
Hey all,

Looking into buying a locker. Tired of the open rear, I've got a built 383 and I need the power to the pavement! 3.42 10 bolt/ TH350.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Are you going to be using a different axle, or sticking with the 10 bolt? The reason I ask, is an engine like a 383, and lots of traction on a 10 bolt is likely to result in broken parts of axle when it hooks.

brianhannon

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383/ TH350/10 Bolt
Are you going to be using a different axle, or sticking with the 10 bolt? The reason I ask, is an engine like a 383, and lots of traction on a 10 bolt is likely to result in broken parts of axle when it hooks.

I was planning on using the same rear. I'm not one to hammer into it too hard but I'd like both wheels to be there on the occasion that I do

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well, the Detroit Locker is hard to beat, but I almost would recommend one of the lunchbox lockers from a company like Loc-Rite or such. Those should drop into the existing open carrier, so you won't be into it for setting up a new ring and pinion, and they usually run around $300. I'd go that way first, and make sure you'll be able to keep from breaking anything before you spend a lot right away.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Detroit TrueTrac, it is a all gear bias-sensing limited slip.
Smooth as an open diff and strong as all their products. Lockers are harsh On-road and will push you straight when its slick unless you let off the gas ( rain , snow, or ice).
There are different needs for each scenario , and for the street a clutch type posi or limited slip works best.

I'd use a support cover on your ten bolt and not worry about anything else on it. They are much stronger than most give them credit for.
An aftermarket diff with an upgrade to 30 spline aftermarket axles and they are as strong as a 12 bolt w/aftermarket axles. Stock they have the same pinion shaft diameter as a car 12 bolt - which is larger than a truck 12 bolt. I wouldn't be afraid of a set of slicks and high rpm dragstrip launchs afterwards !

.02 cents w/experience.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
get rid of the 10bolt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Detroit TrueTrac, it is a all gear bias-sensing limited slip.
Smooth as an open diff and strong as all their products. Lockers are harsh On-road and will push you straight when its slick unless you let off the gas ( rain , snow, or ice).
There are different needs for each scenario , and for the street a clutch type posi or limited slip works best.

I'd use a support cover on your ten bolt and not worry about anything else on it. They are much stronger than most give them credit for.
An aftermarket diff with an upgrade to 30 spline aftermarket axles and they are as strong as a 12 bolt w/aftermarket axles. Stock they have the same pinion shaft diameter as a car 12 bolt - which is larger than a truck 12 bolt. I wouldn't be afraid of a set of slicks and high rpm dragstrip launchs afterwards !

.02 cents w/experience.

Exactly. Plus the Truetrac gets rid of the factory carrier which is a weak point.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
get rid of the 10bolt.

There's NOTHING wrong with an 8.5 10 bolt for street/racing use. The common 4x4 logic really doesn't apply here, and neither does the old muscle car era 10bolt/12bolt thing. The 8.5 10 bolt is a much stronger unit than the old 8.2 10 bolt. The 8.5 is basically what put the old car style 12 bolt out of production.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I have beat the living snot out of the stock 8.5 in my SS for almost twenty years and never had trouble from it once on street tires.
On ten inch slicks, hooking HARD - (fronts up) - I have spun the hub off of two axle shafts and turned the solid u-joint out of the pinion... All it does is beg for more.

I wouldn't be scared to sling mud with an 8.5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man