Best bang for the buck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Best bang for the buck, info needed

I recently purchased a 4wd square body and was wanting some opionions on ways to lift it. It's a 1982 short bed 4wd gmc pickup sitting at stock height. Thinking about lifting it 4" and running some 35" tires. Any info and opionions would be much apriciated. I dont have a lot of knowledge when it comes to lifting. I've heard about shackle flips but don't know much about them. Want to come out without spending a ton but don't want it to be crappy. It will get used off road so it need to be usable. Thanks again in advance.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Offroad Design, as well as others sell the rear shackle flip kit. Basically you cut the rear most brackets off, bolt theirs on and flip your shackle essentially gaining 4" lift. The weird thing, at least that I've noticed is the slip joint in the driveshaft (or slip yoke in the trans, depending on what you got) seems like it travels a lot less with this setup. Your pinion will be rotated upwards slightly which helps improve the driveline angle, however you may want to get a set of Zero Rate Add-A-Leaf blocks to relocate the rear axle either 1" or 1-1/2" rearward to re-center the axle in the fenderwell.

Up front the quick and easy answer is lift springs. Shopping around you could score just the front springs from Skyjacker (usually a softer ride) for around $350, maybe less. Some front and rear rubber brakeline modification may need to be done to keep them from getting stretched in a trail twist. Another method of lifting the front 4" (and also allowing excellent axle travel for the trail) is using 52" rear truck springs up front. You have to move the front leaf spring perches to the front of the frame 2" (you'll see another set of holes in front of where the perch is mounted). You may also have to get a set of longer shackles for the rear of the front springs, to keep the leaf spring eye from contacting the frame.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Alright thanks for the info. The shackle flip sounds like a good way to go for the rear. Not sure about the front want it to be usable without spending a bunch right now. I will Probobly invest in a better setup later on down the road

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There's another post here in Lifted Suspension section I posted on this morning with a little more detail, might want to check it out.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
Does anyone have measurements or info on the shackle flip rear mounts. I have all the tools and equipment to make my own to save money just wondering if anyone has messurments or links, I'm having a hard time finding any info

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does anyone have measurements or info on the shackle flip rear mounts. I have all the tools and equipment to make my own to save money just wondering if anyone has messurments or links, I'm having a hard time finding any info

If you want to save money, just do it the poor man's way. All you need is a couple front hangers from a common 2wd, drill some holes, then bolt them on as rear hangers. You can also use the taller version from a 4x4, but that lowers the rear of the spring too much, IMHO.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
If you want to save money, just do it the poor man's way. All you need is a couple front hangers from a common 2wd, drill some holes, then bolt them on as rear hangers. You can also use the taller version from a 4x4, but that lowers the rear of the spring too much, IMHO.

Alright thanks. I may check into that this weekend.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ive seen a lot of guys plate the topside of the hanger and recut the hole on the bottom. With the right bracing they are just as strong

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
LMAO! I saw the title of this thad, and immediately though it was review of a Brothel.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Offroad Design, as well as others sell the rear shackle flip kit. Basically you cut the rear most brackets off, bolt theirs on and flip your shackle essentially gaining 4" lift. The weird thing, at least that I've noticed is the slip joint in the driveshaft (or slip yoke in the trans, depending on what you got) seems like it travels a lot less with this setup. Your pinion will be rotated upwards slightly which helps improve the driveline angle, however you may want to get a set of Zero Rate Add-A-Leaf blocks to relocate the rear axle either 1" or 1-1/2" rearward to re-center the axle in the fenderwell.

Up front the quick and easy answer is lift springs. Shopping around you could score just the front springs from Skyjacker (usually a softer ride) for around $350, maybe less. Some front and rear rubber brakeline modification may need to be done to keep them from getting stretched in a trail twist. Another method of lifting the front 4" (and also allowing excellent axle travel for the trail) is using 52" rear truck springs up front. You have to move the front leaf spring perches to the front of the frame 2" (you'll see another set of holes in front of where the perch is mounted). You may also have to get a set of longer shackles for the rear of the front springs, to keep the leaf spring eye from contacting the frame.

what is the benifit of the 52" front leafs?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Articulation if you trail ride much, and overall softer ride. Stock fronts are 48" so it will take some fab work to get them on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67