Best $6 I ever spent.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
So I bought 2 sq yards because I wanted material for other stuff, but I only used half.

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
It was true purple lol, good observation though.

So it looks like some of you are interested in trying this... a reminder that my dash did NOT have vinyl foam. Someone removed it.

My concern with covering a cracked vinyl dash would be that you would see the cracks/vinyl peaks if you did not repair the cracks first because the material is rather thin. Just a heads up, I would not have gone this route if my dash still had the foam on it unless I fully repaired the cracked vinyl before covering it, but my dash was only the metal skin with a thin layer of padding that I went over top of.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
79dentside is that real suede? Or a synthetic..?

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
It’s a synthetic Swede. It’s got a decent amount of elesticiy given that I could cover the dash in one piece which I was a big fan on. It’s very low profile, I personally don’t think it looks like Swede until you get up real close or you touch it, then you can tell that it’s not a typical dash material.

I found the sticker if anyone is interested. I bought 2 square yards for $11.32 before tax
You must be registered for see images attach

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Here she is in the day light. Spent about $24 on the door panels (Color change/fixing the holes in the plastic) plus $6 in material on the dash, and lets say a couple dollars on glue sticks.

We will just call it $33 ish total, this is how she looks.

Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
That looks great! What is your steering wheel from?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
That looks great! What is your steering wheel from?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks! So my neighbor stopped by when I was putting spark plugs in it and said he had a 1988 that had the same steering wheel, so I am thinking it isn’t stock to my 1979. I didn’t put it in though so I can’t confirm.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great work, especially on a low budget.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Imagine how great some period correct corduroy material would look laying up there on the dash!!!

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Thanks guys! Still needs some carpet that is TRASHED and missing sections, so there is no cheap fix on that unless I find a good carpet set at a junkyard. Would like to go tan, but I don’t want stains... may go a dark brown or black just so I can use the truck and not feel bad.

Imagine how great some period correct corduroy material would look laying up there on the dash!!!

Looks like I chose the wrong material!!!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Looks really good man. Two thumbs up. I am concerned about the uv rays eating that material up though.

Btw that steering wheel is out of the generation after squares. Trucks Jimmy's s10's Tahoe's burbs etc all had em. It was the wheel used before airbags went standard.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Looks really good man. Two thumbs up. I am concerned about the uv rays eating that material up though.

Btw that steering wheel is out of the generation after squares. Trucks Jimmy's s10's Tahoe's burbs etc all had em. It was the wheel used before airbags went standard.

Good to know!

And yeah, it’s a risk I assumed. I know it is far from the best option... but for $6 in material, plus some glue, I am okay with risking it. If it doesn’t work, I will either recover it again, or try something else.

But I agree, time will tell on the material. The dash was previously wrapped with something similar. It’s integrity was compromised over the years. I was pulling on it to taunt up some of the wrinkles, in some cases when I was pulling pretty hard, the old material started to tear. But then again, it was $6 in material, if this lasts a decent while, I would not mind wrapping it again.. we will see e though.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Good to know!

And yeah, it’s a risk I assumed. I know it is far from the best option... but for $6 in material, plus some glue, I am okay with risking it. If it doesn’t work, I will either recover it again, or try something else.

But I agree, time will tell on the material. The dash was previously wrapped with something similar. It’s integrity was compromised over the years. I was pulling on it to taunt up some of the wrinkles, in some cases when I was pulling pretty hard, the old material started to tear. But then again, it was $6 in material, if this lasts a decent while, I would not mind wrapping it again.. we will see e though.

Amortized costs - you get 2 years out of it that equals 3 bux per year material plus half of your labor costs, whatever you figure your time is worth.

:happy107:

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)