Bed interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
292 cubic inch inline-six
(I'm not sure if this is correct thread, but oh well.)
For my '79 C30 that came as a cab and chassis originally, it has a long bed on it, but it is rusted though. Are there any specific years that are the best for interchangeability if I wanted to replace it? As well as that, the fuel filler is placed sticking though the bed on the driver's side, so I wonder if I'd need to change the location.
I appreciate any help.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Any 73-87 Squarebody long bed will physically fit. Just make sure the replacement bed has the filler on the correct side. Some have it on the drivers side, some have it on passenger, some have it on both (dual tanks). If you had a passenger side tank, you could pick which side you wanted it on, or run both.
Also, 73-78 beds have round gas caps indents, with no doors, and 79-87 has square cap I dents, with doors. The filler will bolt to it the same, that's just a personal preference.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Any 73-87 Squarebody long bed will physically fit. Just make sure the replacement bed has the filler on the correct side. Some have it on the drivers side, some have it on passenger, some have it on both (dual tanks). If you had a passenger side tank, you could pick which side you wanted it on, or run both.
Also, 73-78 beds have round gas caps indents, with no doors, and 79-87 has square cap I dents, with doors. The filler will bolt to it the same, that's just a personal preference.
Thank you very much for your time put into that. I appreciate it!
When it comes to the 1-ton suspension and frame, do you believe there might be any clearance issues for lets say, a long bed from a half ton?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thank you very much for your time put into that. I appreciate it!
When it comes to the 1-ton suspension and frame, do you believe there might be any clearance issues for lets say, a long bed from a half ton?
You're very welcome.

Nope not at all, the model wont affect the bed at all. Unless you had like a 12 foot until type, but I can see from your pics that you dont. That's a standard bed.
Heck, even a long bed step sode would fit on there, Ive seen that done.

I've personally put a bed from a 78 c10 onto a 85 K20, and put the bed from a 86 C20 onto a 76 K10, and them from that k10 onto another 78 c10. It doesnt matter the year or model, they're all the same. I have a 75 C30 and well, the frame doesn't change shape or size.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
The only time a longbed wouldnt fit a longbed frame is if it's a dually, but even then, itd line up and technically fit, but the outer wheels would fit unless something got cut.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@AyWoSch Motors Thank you! I apologize for the late response!
When it comes to swapping a bed, I feel like I'll be more confident. lol
I appreciate the info.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@SDJunkMan My cab and chassis originally came with one of those maintenance truck type utility boxes according to the previous owner, so I hope there won't be an issue. lol

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I put an bed on a c&c, with the rear tires centered in the opening there was a larger than "normal" gap behind the cab.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I put an bed on a c&c, with the rear tires centered in the opening there was a larger than "normal" gap behind the cab.
Huh, I wonder if there's some difference in length of the chassis

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Huh, I wonder if there's some difference in length of the chassis
I see in the pictures you posted in your welcome thread that your truck has the same gap he was talking about. If you're fine with the way it looks now and you simply want to replace the bed with one that's a little less beat up, you'll be fine. Yeah the cab and chassis trucks were a little longer to accommodate flatbeds and utility bodies, etc. They weren't intended to have a regular bed on them, because when new if you wanted a bed you would have just bought a pickup instead of ordering a cab and chassis. They were sold to people who had other plans for them- tow trucks didn't start life by having someone rip the bed off, they were cab and chassis trucks and someone put a tow body on it. That kind of stuff.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I see in the pictures you posted in your welcome thread that your truck has the same gap he was talking about. If you're fine with the way it looks now and you simply want to replace the bed with one that's a little less beat up, you'll be fine. Yeah the cab and chassis trucks were a little longer to accommodate flatbeds and utility bodies, etc. They weren't intended to have a regular bed on them, because when new if you wanted a bed you would have just bought a pickup instead of ordering a cab and chassis. They were sold to people who had other plans for them- tow trucks didn't start life by having someone rip the bed off, they were cab and chassis trucks and someone put a tow body on it. That kind of stuff.
Nice, okay thank you! I appreciate it.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
One item not mentioned is the tailgate. There is a difference between the 70s and 80s. Also the trunnions are different, the are bigger than the 81+
It may not matter to you if you buy an 81+ bed with tailgate unless you want to backdate.
Filler necks are also a little different. As mentioned 73-78 are round and connect to the bed side. 79-87 have doors. Also the earlier ones have 2 screws to hold the neck later ones have 3.
When you buy the bed get the necks at the same time. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey