Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
not sure what brand of battery people are running in their rigs but just thought i would brag a little on my AC/Delco that is in my Jeep j20 for the past 9 years. the truck has been sitting for about 3 weeks, not started or moved.figured it was time to run it a bit since its been around 15 to 20 degrees here for longer than that.Expecting a dead battery,was I surprised it turned the motor over like it was a warm summer day,no dragging just got it cranking and fired right up!!! Just my 2 cents!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
AC Delco use to be good but haven't bought one in 10 years. Batteries have changed a bunch in the last 5-7 years. Most are manufactured overseas.

A friend buys Odyssey batteries, he usually gets 10 years out of them, they are expensive.

Believe it or not have heard good things about Walmart batteries and they usually cost less.

One thing I can say for sure do not buy an Optima. Had 2 of them go bad just past warranty at 2 years. That's $400 down the drain.

Did buy a FVP from Rock auto but haven't had it long enough to recommend it.

You might find some sizes aren't available. That is why I had to get the FVP.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
There are only a couple battery manufacturers left, all the different brands are just different levels of the same product.

I buy batteries from Autozone or Walmart. If your 10 miles northeast of nowhere and have battery issues, warranty replacements won’t be far away. You can find a autozone Or Walmart anywhere.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I have a Valuecraft economy in my 86 right now. Its side and top post combo.. It's been in my K20, the C30, the K10, the van, in all suburbans, the 3500, the vettecart, the Dakota, the jeep cj7, the tractor, and used it on my run stand multiple times.
The sticker says 2009 on it, and it's still going strong.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ive had good luck with interstate, up north. A lot of people use em in this area.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The 15 second festiva uses a lawn tractor battery from Walmart.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
I've had very good luck with Optimas.
I've been running either red tops or yellow tops in all of my vehicles for the past 20 plus years.
It's about eight cars and trucks. Including two 454s.
I have better luck with the yellow tops with vehicles that aren't used regularly.
Deep cycle.
And I keep them on a Battery Tender.
Here in Tucson the temperatures go up to 107 to 112 regularly during the summer.
It's a very difficult environment for batteries.
Usually been getting seven or eight years out of them.
They've got a ton of reserve cranking amps.
They don't leak.
And they come with both side mount and top mount terminals.
If you've got an old classic vehicle they even sell camouflage tar top covers that make them look just like the old original Delco batteries to the casual observer.

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT Automotive and LTV Battery MADE IN USA $350

Also have had good luck with red top Optimas.

The Gylling Group of Scandinavia bought Optima in 1994, opening a factory a year later in Colorado. In 2000 Optima was acquired by Johnson Controls. In 2007 JCI laid the foundation stone for a new production site in Monterrey, Mexico.

If you dont want to spend $300+ on an AGM check out the video below. It seems like batteries are kinda hit and miss these days. Back in the 70s Die Hards and AC Delco were hard to beat

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Interesting video however he's only testing one battery of each brand. It seems like everyone has there "best product" these days. I like the Odyssey mostly because they are made in USA, showed up on a bunch of "Top Rated Reviews" and a few guys on here on GM Square Body, Tahoe Yukon forum and ck5 had great luck with them.
We drive the Jimmy and our Tahoes on extended trips from CA-CO UT AZ NV etc so being stuck in the middle of H70 with no cell service would suck. (I'd like to believe my USA AGM battery is less likely to leave me stranded in Excessive heat/cold weather
I think if I had a DD small car I would lean to the cheapest walmart or costco battery.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I'm also a huge AC/Delco fan as I've had them last 7+ years and over 200K miles on a remote start vehicle here in Montana where temp's can vary nearly 150 degrees from the heat of summer to the heart of the winter. My mother also got over 8 years out of her AC/Delco that came stock in her '06 Impala.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Had the battery in my 2009 2500 Silverado die in 2016. Bought a new battery at Walmart for $74.
That battery lasted until 2 months ago. The cheapest replacement I could find was at Advance Auto for $205.
Yes, I agree, batteries have changed over the past few years.

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
My battery is AC Delco also the silver line. Figure can't go wrong with what came with from the factory and its reasonably priced

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
One thing I can say for sure do not buy an Optima. Had 2 of them go bad just past warranty at 2 years. That's $400 down the drain.

100% agreed. I have never owned an Optima myself, but it seems like every person I know who bought one in the past regretted it. Expensive, overrated junk IMO.

I used to think that the "name brand" batteries were the best. Interstate, Die Hard, Exide, Delco, etc. And maybe that was the case in the past, but I'm really not sure what the difference is nowadays. The Duralast battery in my '89 pickup lasted 10 years before it died last winter.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
I use Delco in my Chevy’s, Mopar in my Dodge and Honda in the Honda. I’m a mechanic in it just looks proper when you open the hood. I had a battery shop next door to me years ago and it was a dollar a month. A 72 month battery was $72 and so forth. I was told at the time no matter what battery you bought, that they were good for 40 months.

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Best battery I ever had was a Panasonic that came stock with my ‘03 4Runner. Used it for about 6 years in my 4Runner, then put it in my mud truck for another 5 years with it sitting most of the time. Never a problem. Finally my friend killed it by using it to start his rebuilt 350 that he couldn’t get running right away. Now I usually go with Walmart batteries and have had good luck with them. My last one is a Duracell from Sam’s club, but have not had it long enough to tell if it will be good or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1