Basic question about my 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verythin2

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Hey all,
i just got my first Chevy and i couldnt be happier. i am a larger guy and my 89 suburban fits me well as soon as i put the bench seat back 6 inches. The guy i purchased it from said the TBI 350 motor and trans was a new crate kit straight from GM. They look clean and the truck runs real well. Before i start upgrading this beast i really wanted to try to pinpoint what i have. So my question is two part. Is there a tag somewhere on the motor that i could find and look up to see if the motor is what he said it was and two is there a tag or a way of telling which trans i have. Sorry if my questions seem basic but like i said i am really new to all this and am looking to do it right. Thanks for your time and help. Pics to come.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welcome to the forum! :wave: Take a couple different pics of the trans and we should be able to help you figure out what it is, more than likely a 700R4 if it has overdrive. For the engine I think there's a pad that sticks out on the front block under one of the heads, can't remember if it's passenger side or driver's side, that has a set of numbers on it. If you can find that and get the numbers we should be able to find out what the engine is. Enjoy your stay and post up pics often!! :cheers:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard Mike, I am west of Philly. :wave:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I had to remove my alternator to get to the one on the front. Easiest way I found was wire brushing the block where it mates to the bell housing on the drivers side and sticking a small digital cam down there to take a picture of the numbers.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1